Science selective food

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Joent

Science selective food

Post by Joent » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:17 pm

Hi I was wondering if anyone has tried science selective rat food? We brought a new babies home a just over a week ago and we’re feeding them rat rations mix (11a I think) but can get this locally what is everyone option, or should we stick to the mix? Also how often should we be giving fresh food like veggies etc?
Thanks 🙂🐀

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Science selective food

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:15 pm

Rats are omnivores, so have evolved to thrive on varied tastes and textures, which a pelleted food can not provide.

If you would like to combine them though, you could add 1 part of Science Selective to 4 parts of #11.

Veggies (particularly leafy green veg like Kale) can be given most days of the week, but 2 or 3 times will be fine.

[cub]

Re: Science selective food

Post by [cub] » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:42 pm

Mine get Science Selective as a treat once a week as they really seem to enjoy it. I wouldn't want to feed it as their main food though; it's got a fairly short ingredient list, the protein content is a little bit high for older rats, and the calcium:phosphorus ratio is too low for my liking. (Plus their poo smells more on it compared to their normal dry mix, which I make myself.) It's good for putting in foraging wheels, treat balls, cardboard boxes, etc. however, as it smells quite strong and the rats are pretty motivated to get at it.

If you're feeding a Rat Rations mix, do make sure you're giving a vitamin and mineral supplement alongside. Either Daily Essentials 1 with Calcivet, or DailyRat3 on its own (which IMO is a better supplement anyway).

I give vegetables 6 days a week personally, about the same weight in vegetables as they get in dry mix. I understand that's more than most people, but my rats seem fine on it. They mostly just get offcuts of what we're having anyway, especially since they can deal with tougher bits of stem and such that human teeth aren't so good at chewing.
Poo-shoveller to: Lita, Xeltan, Calyn, and Din.
Fondly remembering: Lia the scruffbag, Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit, Falere the contrary, Mirala the best and finest, Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

Return to “Habitat”