Cage building requirments

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Filigirl237

Cage building requirments

Post by Filigirl237 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:29 pm

Hey there,

I’m currently building a cage for the first time, I’ve never owned rats so I want to make sure I’m doing the right thing.

I have the size portions already done. Big enough for 4-5 rats but I’m only looking at getting 3-4 rats.

However I want to build it out of wood. My research has led me to being unsure. Some say its okay some say its not. I have kiln dried pine wood. Whats are some of your recommendations or alternatives

Many thanks.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Cage building requirments

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:11 am

Can I ask why you're wanting to build your own cage? There are some good sized cages available for around £50 which would be a lot easier (e.g. the coco 100, 10% discount with the code FANCYRATS).

Anything wooden can be chewed by rats, and will also soak up their wee and scent marks so will smell.

What dimensions have you decided on?

CorbinDallasMyMan

Re: Cage building requirments

Post by CorbinDallasMyMan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:50 pm

Wood isn't a great cage material because if your rats can get their teeth on it, they will chew it and also wood absorbs urine and can start to smell terribly very quickly. Unless you absolutely don't have access to good manufactured cages, I really wouldn't recommend a DIY project, especially if you're a new rat owner.

When I first got rats, I considered making a DIY "grotto" cage out of a large piece of furniture. I did a bunch of research and decided against it because I realized it wouldn't last that long, it would be fairly ugly, it wouldn't provide my rats with enough ventilation, and it wouldn't even save me very much money. I decided to get a Critter Nation instead and I really think I made the right choice.

After several years of owning rats, I did end up making a DIY cage that I'm really happy with but I already had years of rat ownership to refine the design and it cost more than a comparable manufactured cage.

Return to “Habitat”