Baby Rats Playing

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
rattiebaby

Baby Rats Playing

Post by rattiebaby » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:19 am

:love: Hey guys! I’m new here. I have two girls I rescued when they were already older. But I recently rescued three pups from a local supplier. I’m in love with them already and spoil them all rotten. I let my older girls free roam but, I’m worried I’d end up losing my smaller girls. Do any of you have any ideas on how I can let the younger pups free roam without losing them? I use a small pet play pen for now but they always escape so I can’t let them out for too long at a time. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

ScissorCrow

Re: Baby Rats Playing

Post by ScissorCrow » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:34 pm

Do you have a totally secure room like a bathroom or hallway?

If they're small maybe just playing on the bed would do?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Baby Rats Playing

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:44 pm

Establish a bond with your youngsters, especially teaching them their names, and to come to you on command (e.g. for a small treat). Then start free ranging in a safe area without any hidey holes or wires - a hallway is often a good option, or a bed/table/sofa. Sit in the bare space with them, and once they are used to playing on you, provide some other toys for them to investigate.

Rats will love to explore, but they don't aim to escape like some other small pets might.

Return to “Habitat”