How to clean my rats toys?

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Dilori

How to clean my rats toys?

Post by Dilori » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:51 pm

OK, this is the one thing that is bothering me. I clean my boy's cage out regularly but I'm not sure what to do with their toys. I have a couple of gnaw objects in their cage that they can climb on/in as well as gnaw, but I can't explain what they're made of, but anyway I discovered these objects had been urinated on and they're made of the kind of stuff that urine can soak into, so I soaked them in hot water to sterilise. But the hot water made them go all soggy and when they dried they started crumbling apart so I threw them out.
But I can't think of any other way to wash the urine out. Some of their toys are easier to wash than others. I was considering on buying some plastic baby toys but I'm not sure if the plastic might be toxic for rats or not.

Does anyone have any helpful tips or advice on how to keep gnaw toys clean and if plastic baby toys are safe or not? I can't seem to find much information on this on Google.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: How to clean my rats toys?

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:05 pm

I think the things that disintegrated are made of sugars, or possibly compressed sawdust, neither of which is good for rats to be chewing on, so avoid those in future.

In contrast, plastic accessories are fine - they will chew them but won't swallow any because they'll know it's inedible. Rats can close their mouths behind their front teeth so don't accidentally swallow things they are chewing. For cleaning, I just use normal washing up liquid.

If you want to give them things to actually chew (they don't need to chew to keep their teeth in check btw), I'd recommend wooden parrot toys. Cleaning is a matter of scrubbing in water and then letting it dry.

Dilori

Post by Dilori » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:21 pm

Thank you for the advice. So you really think baby toys will be safe? I'm not talking about battery-operated toys, I'm talking more about those chunky plastic ones for babies under 1. I want as much entertainment for my boy's as possible, as they are rather active and enjoy discovering different things and having things to climb on or get into, etc. Basically things to play with. At least plastic toys are easy to wash and if they are baby-safe then they must be safe for rats.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:47 pm

Yeah, if it's safe for babies it's generally safe for rats. I second the recommendation of wooden parrot toys; they last a good long time and a soak in hot soapy water will get any urine out. You can also coat them with a child-safe toy paint (I use a few coats of Plastikote enamel) to make things like wooden ledges and wine racks wipe-clean-ish.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Dilori

Post by Dilori » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:50 pm

Parrot toys and baby toys it is then. Looks like I'll be going on a shopping spree very soon.
:D
Thank you for the advice. My rats say thank you too!

Return to “Habitat”