Cheap, tip-proof flying saucer?

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Little_Lovelies

Cheap, tip-proof flying saucer?

Post by Little_Lovelies » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:20 am

Hi Guys,

I have recently adopted two amazing boys who were absolutely enormous and so are now on a diet. They are thought to be around a year old so I opted to get them a cheap plastic Trixie running disc (12") which they could use only at playtime while I waited to see if they took to it. (
https://www.ebay.co.uk/urw/Trixie-Runni ... 4351018661 ) It seems like they might and it does manage to spin under their weight which is great (I've read that often these flying saucers don't), but the stupid thing tips over if they sit on the edge at the bottom?! It's ridiculous that this is sold for rats when it can't take an (admittedly very chubby) adult male's weight!

Does anyone know of any cheapy ones that don't tip at all? If the boys get the hang of a cheap one I would very happily buy them a decent (and bigger) one, I just want to be sure it'll get used before spending so much money. So yeah, I'm after recommendations for a cheap tip-proof one that I can let them use for very short, monitored periods of time while I see if they take to it. From what I can see the bases all look much the same, but if the other brands use weightier plastic in their bases they might well be better.

Recommendations for the ultimate one also gratefully received : )

Thanks!

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Cheap, tip-proof flying saucer?

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:45 am

I've never known of anyone successfully using a flying saucer for adult rats - but if you can stretch to a 16" tic tac wheel, it'd be a very good investment for them, as even large bucks can run comfortably on those. Pop one on your Christmas list perhaps? ;)

Little_Lovelies

Post by Little_Lovelies » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:56 pm

Haha, yeah that's very likely to be on the list thank you : ) I just wanted them to have both if at all possible.

mothernaturesson

Post by mothernaturesson » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Let me know if you have any success my boys wouldn’t run on a wheel for all the tea in China :sleepy:

Little_Lovelies

Post by Little_Lovelies » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:40 pm

Wilful little cuties! Will do and nice to meet you : )

Return to “Habitat”