Free range items

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Feolthanos

Free range items

Post by Feolthanos » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:11 am

Getting my first rats next week and was wondering what's the best items people have found for free range time with their rats? (I'll be free ranging in the bathroom to start, just thinking ahead :) ).

Eventually I'm going to get a small cat scratch post that can alt between in cage and on the floor, some pop up/fold down tunnels, and save cardboard boxes, but I was wondering what everyone else had used?

The rats will have run of a double bedroom (with no bed) so it's quite large, but as I use this as my dressing room and office too I need things that can be easily put away and not hog lots of space as the built in cupboard I have is already pretty full with storing the carrier and other essentials with boxes already in the room it's self for in cage toys and hammocks.

[cub]

Re: Free range items

Post by [cub] » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:57 am

Honestly just whatever you have lying around. If there's furniture in the room, they'll enjoy exploring that. Big paper bags, boxes as you mentioned, clothes airers (though if there are clothes on it, they may get ... customised). Bags and clothes/shoes that smell of Outside are apparently intriguing, though again, you may need to watch for after-market modifications. :P
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32), Zephyr Nyahir, Zephyr Zymandis, Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth), Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

frodo quin

Post by frodo quin » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:14 pm

Everything that you feel fine with if they destroy it(make it better of course) or steal it (don’t leave money in their room). Think about safety to, so nothing where they (or a body part) could get stuck in or have a nasty fall from.
I never really provided special free range stuff, unless I experienced a need for something in a certain space, for instance a rat that wanted to be under the couch and have a nest there. I didn’t like it when he made a whole in the couch, so I provided him with alternative options (a wooden bridge and cardboard box with blankets and toilet paper).

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:04 pm

Thanks guys. Glad to know I don't have to overthink, or over spend on this!

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:43 am

Cat trees are great for free range, but I wouldn't put one in the cage or it will get very stinky very quickly. ;)

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:00 am

cyber ratty wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:43 am
Cat trees are great for free range, but I wouldn't put one in the cage or it will get very stinky very quickly. ;)
Ha I didn't think of that! :lol:

mothernaturesson

Post by mothernaturesson » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:26 pm

mine are obsessed with cardboard boxes
they absolutely go bonkers for a box with holes in
easily pleased

Return to “Habitat”