scatter feeding material

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
oowie

scatter feeding material

Post by oowie » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:21 am

i want to provide my boys with a tray for scatter feeding. what substrate do you use for this? is cotton comfort suitable, or just plain shredded papertowel ?
i can buy cotton comfort in small bales, large bales of finacard or something like that are not possible for me to store.
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: scatter feeding material

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:53 pm

You can buy substrate in smaller packs from Rat Rations, or club together with other owners who could share the bale with you?

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:03 am

If it is literally just for scatter feeding and the cage base uses something else (e.g. fleece) then you can use anything diggable. If you have a paper shredder, shredded paper is cheap and easy to make yourself just from your scrap paper.

If it needs to actually help control cage smell though, you'll need something more absorbent. I don't know what cotton comfort is; shredded paper towels will be soaked through extremely quickly. VetUK do shredded cardboard substrate in small bales which I like: https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-supplies ... kg-p-20949
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32), Zephyr Nyahir, Zephyr Zymandis, Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth), Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:49 pm

It's worth noting that the bales of finacard from rat rations are a smaller bale then those buying direct. It's also incredibly compressed so will last ages. Otherwise you can get smaller packs, but postage won't make it very cost effective.

Anything loose that's rat safe is suitable as a digging material however, so just use whatever you can easily store :)

Return to “Habitat”