favorit toys

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
oowie

favorit toys

Post by oowie » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:31 pm

my rats are still young but are ignoring most of their toys. gnawtoys,balls, shred toys, nothing.....
what are your rats favorit toys?
formerly izi

hjanders

Re: favorit toys

Post by hjanders » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:49 pm

I’ve never had rats that play with classic ‘toys’.

Different rats over time have loved paper (toilet roll, kitchen roll or my daughter’s homework), cardboard boxes, digging, climbing and chewing their hammocks. Or, they like anything that involves food! For example put some food/treats inside a cardboard toilet roll inner and fold the ends over. Or make a ‘cracker’ with paper and strung with food inside.

No need to buy any expensive toys!
Luna, Maggie, Tutsie, Fizzie and Pip
Never to be forgotten: Nelle, Me-Me, Popcorn, Trixie, Paws, Tica, Bella and Doris ❤️

frodo quin

Post by frodo quin » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:44 pm

Mine don’t play whit those kinds of toys either. What they do like: a roll of toilet paper (put on top of the cage with a strand of paper hanging in the gage) to build nests, paper tea bag’s hanging on a string, filled with food, stuffed toilet rolls with food inside, a feathers on a stick cat toy (only used with participating human), AND the most important thing: their digging box with coco peat.

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:22 am

I have a few hanging toys for my boys. So far they've only interacted with 2 out of 4 of them (a wooden toy made to look like a bunch of grapes and a pom pom type thing), and I only put them them there as they were chewing on bridges that I wanted to last so they were already associating that area with chewing. The string on the pom pom was destroyed and then once it was on the floor they couldn't care less.

I also put toilet rolls, chew sticks and some wooven balls in the bottom of the cage for interest, but it's mostly stuff they very briefly pick up to see if there's food underneath or inside or have a good sniff around if it's new. I don't think rats are going to traditionally interact with toys like say a dog would.

My boys love having fresh food inside a hanging ball. Hang it so they have to work for it and it's very exciting apparently. They completely ignore the one with shredded paper in though.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:52 am

I think the only 'toy' that my rats have consistently liked is their wheel. (16" Tictac, big enough even for my big buck.) Otherwise they mostly only interact with things if there's a pressing reason to do so, usually food related. :P So I keep them entertained by making getting around the cage and finding food as challenging as I can. e.g. I've got wobbly hanging toys at top of the cage, and then chuck a handful of large bits of vegetable on top of the bars, so they have to balance on the hanging toys and pull the veg through the bars. Otherwise they wouldn't spend much time on those hanging toys; they're wobbly and hard to walk on so why bother unless there's a payoff? :roll:
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Return to “Habitat”