How do I wash hammocks/soft items

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Aalice

How do I wash hammocks/soft items

Post by Aalice » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:46 pm

Hello! I am due my first lot of Baby Ratties this weekend. I had lots as a Child and I have some very fond memories but I am struggling to remember the cleaning regime....

Lots of people have mentioned they wash their hammocks/blankets and things. What do you wash them in? I know rats are so sensitive and I don't want to upset them or cause any havock to their respiratory systems..

Would you also wash things like fabric ropes as well?

[cub]

Re: How do I wash hammocks/soft items

Post by [cub] » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:33 am

Aalice wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:46 pm
Lots of people have mentioned they wash their hammocks/blankets and things. What do you wash them in? I know rats are so sensitive and I don't want to upset them or cause any havock to their respiratory systems..

Would you also wash things like fabric ropes as well?
I just use our normal washing powder. It's a mildly frangranced bio powder, nothing special. If I had a rat that seemed to react to it (e.g. they sneeze a lot in bed only), then obviously I would change, but realistically, whatever fragrance is in the washing powder is probably much less of an irritant than fermenting rat urine, which the hammocks would otherwise smell of. :lol: Doing an extra rinse cycle seems to remove much of the fragrance as well, and also helps produce cleaner hammocks.

I do also wash ropes, though I'm a bit more careful with those just because it's easy to overload the washing machine if you have a lot of ropes. Also if they have any metal attachments or anything like that, you might need to evaluate if they're safe in a washing machine (e.g. likelihood of cracking or snagging on something).

I recommend using a horse wash bag though; keeps the fluff and detritus inside the bag and stops it clogging up the machine. Even though I manually remove as much of it as I can before washing hammocks, there's always some left.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Aalice

Post by Aalice » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:06 pm

Thankyou so much!

I don't suppose I could boggle your brain about cleaning the cage itself. I really want to stay as far away from harsh chemicals as I can.

I have seen a few things about white wine vinegar and water 1:1 ratio. Does that sound sufficient?

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:13 pm

I've also heard of people using vinegar but I've never tried it myself. I clean the bathroom mirror with vinegar and the bathroom always reeks of vinegar for a few hours afterwards; I wouldn't fancy dousing an entire cage in it. I use baby wipes; most of the time all you need is something damp with a bit of surfactant action. You could probably actually just use microfibre cloths and warm water, if you don't mind the extra laundry.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:06 am

I use fairy washing up liquid for the cage and accessories.

Aalice

Post by Aalice » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:23 pm

I was considering this. I wasn't sure if it'd be too harsh. I guess if I rinse well it'll be fine..

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:49 pm

cyber ratty wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:06 am
I use fairy washing up liquid for the cage and accessories.
Ah yeah, I use washing up liquid for cleaning toys and things. I figure if it can be used to wash dishes that human babies are going to lick, it's fine.

Return to “Habitat”