New rat mummy - need some advice please

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: New rat mummy - need some advice please

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:40 pm

Rats can sometimes get a bit spooked by something, and may take a couple of days to return to normal. But being in the middle of everything is great for them, they won't mind the TV, so moving them sounds a good plan anyway. :luck:

Julie020

Post by Julie020 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:11 pm

Ah thanks Mary 😊 at the moment I'm moving them back and forward from original place to living room in evening as I haven't a safe space for free room in living room yet!

Not sure if this is spooking them but they seem excited! And ok!

I need to create a safe space in living room as it's getting exhausting moving them about!

So you say they ok with tv...all day? That's today's question 🤔 thank you so much!

Julie x

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:22 am

Yes, some people leave radios on for them too. :D

If the space their cage is in isn't safe for free ranging, then just take them somewhere else to free range, you don't need to move the cage. It can be nice to use a small cage or big carrier for them to access as a home from home though, for a drink and maybe a toilet stop.

Julie020

Post by Julie020 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:44 am

Yes I keep thinking about that but my problem is I can't pick them up yet and they don't always come out together so I have to sit and wait by their cage! So I struggle getting all 3 together and then I worry I can't get them back in their cage.

But I will work on that they are all so different! One just wants food, one wants to escape..jump and climb the cage (which is stressful trying to stop her) the other is very skittish and shy.

I have created a new space for free roam in the living room now..hope it works and they don't escape!

Do you think moving them from the comfort of being able to jump back to the safety of their cage from free roam is not helping things? 🤔

Thanks Mary

Julie x

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:33 pm

I think free ranging away from their cage is beneficial. I would also say that you must pick them up - the longer you let them get away with not being picked up the more entrenched that attitude will become.

Julie020

Post by Julie020 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:36 pm

OK.. that's very interesting! I have a plan for free roam.

How do I pick them up when they just skitter away as soon as I try? Do I just grab them? I've tried the moving treats onto my hands thing but they only go so far then run back. I did pick up Loretta once
and she squeaked really loudly. She's much bigger than the other two. I'm sure she's not from the same litter!

Thanks again Mary this is so helpful!

Julie x

Julie020

Post by Julie020 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:38 pm

Oh and just to say..the lady I got them from just grabbed them out of their cage while they were sleeping. They seemed fine but do you think it's done something to them?

Return to “Habitat”