UK rat food

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
susielou

UK rat food

Post by susielou » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:25 am

Ok, So i'm picking up my new baby ratties next week and I have everything ready except the food. I have looked in pets at home and online and theres so much to choose from. I also tried looking on here to see what you're all feeding yours but that made it worse :lol:

What brands/type of food are you feeding them in UK?

Thanks

RedFraggle

Re: UK rat food

Post by RedFraggle » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:24 am

Oooh, how exciting!
I would avoid P@H nuggets like the plague. The proprietary rat foods aren't great, and I'm not a fan of monodiets as they're incredibly boring. If you want to buy those sorts of foods I would feed a mix of science selective, beaphar and Reggie rat. I don't think any are great on their own but mine used to do well on a mix of all three.
The best premixed diets available are the ones sold on the rat rations website but it's not cheap and you have to add supplements.
I mix my own using the shunamite diet (google that and you'll find it) and use Harrison's banana brunch rabbit food as the base.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:15 am

RedFraggle wrote:...The best premixed diets available are the ones sold on the rat rations website but it's not cheap and you have to add supplements.
The food itself is no more expensive than commercial foods, it's just the postage - but if you buy substrate and other things in the same order, then you can spread the burden. If there are other rat owners nearby, then you could also share an order. :luck:

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:13 pm

cyber ratty wrote:
RedFraggle wrote:...The best premixed diets available are the ones sold on the rat rations website but it's not cheap and you have to add supplements.
The food itself is no more expensive than commercial foods, it's just the postage - but if you buy substrate and other things in the same order, then you can spread the burden. If there are other rat owners nearby, then you could also share an order. :luck:
I agree with this, I usually save and buy a big order at once; when you're getting two bales of substrate, a big sack of food and the various other treats and presents that "accidentally" fall into the basket, the shipping isn't so bad :)
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

susielou

Post by susielou » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:53 pm

Ah what a great site. I wish I had looked on here before buying lots of things from everywhere else. Oh well, I will keep it in mind for another time. Thanks for the food help!

starstar

Post by starstar » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:53 pm

I plumped for Reggie Rat food. I was so confused by all the different mixes from RR. It is suplimented with daily fresh fruit and veg etc.
Ferret mum to..
Millie, Eddie, Riffraff & Fizzgig, Baloo, Dillon, Rupert, Pookie, Rosie, Buck, Kira, Louis and Lilly "Of the Clan Macphearson"
Dearly departed Mario and Taz, Luigi and Loki x forever in our hearts ratty babies x
Departed Ferret babies: Milo & Sam

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:26 pm

starstar wrote:I was so confused by all the different mixes from RR.
There are really only 3 complete mixes to choose between:
#7 which isn't suitable for older rats as it's not kidney friendly like #8 and #11 are, and includes pasta
#8 which is suitable for all ages but includes pasta so isn't good for rats who put on weight easily
#11 which is suitable for all ages and doesn't include pasta

The minor variations are to do with whether the main protein element is egg or soya, and whether garlic is included or not.

Return to “Feeding”