Rats not eating diabetes mix

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
Tenmashi

Rats not eating diabetes mix

Post by Tenmashi » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Hello!

One of the rats I have bred and has been pet homed has been diagnosed with diabetes. I noticed The Scuttling Gourmet had a recipe for diabetic rats, so I've made the mix for the owners of the rat and they were eating it fine. However they recently stopped eating the seeds and now they stopped eating it at all. :angryrat:

Anyone happen to have any tips on how to handle this? It really would be best for the rat to get a suitable diet. I used the following ingredients: barley, oats, wheat, yellow millet, whole corn, flaked peas, soybeans, buckwheat, beans, Burns diet kibble, spelled wheat, quinoa, hemp, pumpkin, flax seeds, vegetable mix, fenugreek, herb mix and chickpeas.
~Elise & the rats of Rattery Castor: Bagheera, Dex, Doctor, Elrond, Eomer, Fenris, Flowix, Gregory, Grissom & H2O, H'amneko, Arwen, Brennan, Celestia, Deb, Donna, Rapunzel, Elwynn, Eonar, GLaDOS, Geronimo

RedFraggle

Re: Rats not eating diabetes mix

Post by RedFraggle » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:43 pm

Two questions......are they getting other food or just that? Are they really not eating it or is that just what the owner is telling you?
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

Tenmashi

Post by Tenmashi » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:06 am

They also get fresh veggies and such regularly. The owner told me they're not eating it.
~Elise & the rats of Rattery Castor: Bagheera, Dex, Doctor, Elrond, Eomer, Fenris, Flowix, Gregory, Grissom & H2O, H'amneko, Arwen, Brennan, Celestia, Deb, Donna, Rapunzel, Elwynn, Eonar, GLaDOS, Geronimo

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:07 pm

I just wonder if it's code for " don't make us any more mix" lol.
If they have other options, well, we all know what ratties are like!
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Post by Mayamy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:41 pm

Honestly, none of those ingredients would be out of place in a normal mix (and many are in a typical mix) so I can't see any reason for them to eat none of it unless they're getting enough other food to not need it, like RedFraggle said.
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

Tenmashi

Post by Tenmashi » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:20 pm

Which is why I'm baffled! I should probably ask how much food they give each day. The diabetic rat is also overweight so it wouldn't surprise me they're a little easy with feeding. :P

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:03 pm

I would also explicitly ask how much fresh/ other food they get (in addition to how much of the dry mix), rather than just a general "how much food" type question.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Return to “Feeding”