Another mix help post?

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
Squeeker

Another mix help post?

Post by Squeeker » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:28 pm

Ok, so I made up a very basic batch of mix for my boys which I wrote down. following volumes as per shunamite site roughly. Last time it consisted of:

40% fruity rabbit food,
5% dog kibble,
5% pasta,
5% crushed ryevitas (pumpkin seed ones)
5% rye flakes,
5% puffed buckwheat,
10% plain oats,
10% pearl barley,
5% bran flakes,
5% smart price rice crispies

This is 95% so I'm thinking I got distracted and didn't write down whatever else I put in...easily done when you're a dope like me...although I think I might have put in extra oats or barley to make it up. Brains not doing well today but for some reason this rings a bell!

Reading more I'm wanting to take out the rice crispies (I'm pretty sure it was a quick fix at the time....) and the bran flakes as I've read nutritionally they aren't that good. I was looking at barley groats (although I already have pearl barley so no?), using rice, Unpopped popcorn kernels perhaps? Could I put some dried seaweed / nori in? I wouldn't know if this would end up as something I'd add in as a % of the mix... I'm thinking maybe just little bits here and there to add to the oddments I put in for interest. Any suggestions hopefully available off tesco? I'm not well enough to be able to walk very far to nip and get things from town any more... I have to wait for my good days and even then I can suffer for it so hopefully stuff I can order with my food shop :)

That's the main mix part but for "interest" they have a little bit of mealworms / dried veg / the odd cat / dog treat like milk bones / dried fruit depending on what I have here but it isn't really enough for me to count towards a % of the mix.... They have treats like peanuts in the shell, the odd egg here and there, fresh food every day and sometimes some of my dinner depending on how much they plead and how soft I am that day haha . I also supplement with Daily rat 3 but admittedly this isn't daily as the name would suggest. All boys have shiny fur and are well in themselves but I don't think there's any harm in trying to improve.

:hearts:
Owned by Gusgus, Rupert, Bernie, Albert and Jimmy :love:

Waiting at the bridge: Daisy, Peach, Muffin, Lily, Betty, Monty and Ralph :rattyrainbow:

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Re: Another mix help post?

Post by Mayamy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:41 pm

You could look at puffed rice over rice crispies (or wheat/oat/other based low sugar cereals). What grains you want to add most may depend on what grains the rabbit food contains. You could also add some seeds outside of the ryvita (such as hemp). I don't think upping the rabbit food by 5% to balance out numbers would too much harm either though. If your rats end up putting weight on too easily, drop the pasta.

Unpopped corn is fine I think. I swear nori/seaweed sheets often get mentioned as a choking hazard but I don't really know if there's any foundation or it's just one of those things that's spread :lol:
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

Squeeker

Re: Another mix help post?

Post by Squeeker » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:46 am

I made it up slightly differently tonight.

40% fruity rabbit
7.5% brown rice
7.5% puffed buckwheat
5% tricolour pasta
5% oats
5% barley groats
5% pumpkin seed ryvitas
5% split peas
5% pearl barley
5% bran Flakes
5% dog kibble
5% popcorn kernals

Only the odd amount of brown rice and buckwheat because it turned out I was out of Rye flakes and I didn't realise until I'd make up most of the batch. I feel like it's an improvement on what it was but what do you think?

I put in a teeny bit of Nori but I cut it up into really teeny squares before I'd seen this post so I will have to keep an eye out as I'll be rummaging for teeny weeny pieces otherwise ! I only have one boy who is chubby but it's because he's so lazy! When he's out I have him free range on the stairs to make him climb up and down hahah :shock: Everyone else is a decent weight but then again they move! lol!
Owned by Gusgus, Rupert, Bernie, Albert and Jimmy :love:

Waiting at the bridge: Daisy, Peach, Muffin, Lily, Betty, Monty and Ralph :rattyrainbow:

Return to “Feeding”