Calcivet confusion

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
ami_j

Calcivet confusion

Post by ami_j » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:11 pm

Is this
http://www.junglegold.com/crocdoc-calcivet-p-1464.html

the same as
http://www.ratrations.com/calcivet-liqu ... p-436.html ?

And how is it given? Not a lot of info on the page
Ratless
Owned by: Dexter (dog) Ozzy, Loki and Marceline (Cats) Dylan and Darcy (Rabbits) Halo + Tony (Syrian hamsters) Snufkin (Winter White hamster) Toffle (Roborovski) Firefly (Leopard Gecko) Launch and Rocket (Chipmunks) Rebecca (Ribbed Newt) Neo (Cockatiel)

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Calcivet confusion

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:17 pm

Yes - the concentrations listed are identical.

You add calcivet to water, it can be added to the same water that Dr Squiggles is in if you are using both.

ami_j

Post by ami_j » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:18 pm

cyber ratty wrote:Yes - the concentrations listed are identical.

You add calcivet to water, it can be added to the same water that Dr Squiggles is in if you are using both.
It will just be the calcivet. Does it say how often and how much on the bottle?
Ratless
Owned by: Dexter (dog) Ozzy, Loki and Marceline (Cats) Dylan and Darcy (Rabbits) Halo + Tony (Syrian hamsters) Snufkin (Winter White hamster) Toffle (Roborovski) Firefly (Leopard Gecko) Launch and Rocket (Chipmunks) Rebecca (Ribbed Newt) Neo (Cockatiel)

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:50 pm

So originally it was just The Bird Care Co., but after a bit they realised that with such a specific brand name they needed to adjust it slightly when marketing the same products to people with other animals. Like how the original cardboard squares brand, Ecobed was Ecobed when marketed for horses, but Ecopetbed when marketed to small pets. And why I always wrote it as Eco(pet)bed!

So then formed [in this order] Dr Squiggles (now Dr S) for marketing to rodents, EquiFeast for marketing to equines, and Crocdoc for marketing to reptiles. Each of the names refers to the whole product range (they vary a bit with specifics available and sizes depending on your label), not just a single product. Hence why calling DE1 "dr squiggles" massively adds to the confusion, because that's just VCAL/Cannova's 'we sell to pets' label.

They probably won't drink suitable levels it if you're doing water-based Calcivet without DE1 or anything else on top. It's sweet-tasting during drinking, but the aftertaste is bitter and offputting.
Calcivet is 2-5 times a week depending on age and stuff. Never more because too much of the stuff can create problems (deficiencies are talked about more, but neither end of the spectrum is good).
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:03 pm

Actually, having just looked up to see if I could find speicific product info, I stand corrected. Dr Squiggles was rodents, but when they changed that to Dr S they expanded to include cats and dogs and then rebranded as "small pets" instead. Gotta catch all the animals :P

Here's the up to date specific info though
http://www.drs-animalcare.com/English/D ... n/Calcivet
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

ami_j

Post by ami_j » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:06 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:So originally it was just The Bird Care Co., but after a bit they realised that with such a specific brand name they needed to adjust it slightly when marketing the same products to people with other animals. Like how the original cardboard squares brand, Ecobed was Ecobed when marketed for horses, but Ecopetbed when marketed to small pets. And why I always wrote it as Eco(pet)bed!

So then formed [in this order] Dr Squiggles (now Dr S) for marketing to rodents, EquiFeast for marketing to equines, and Crocdoc for marketing to reptiles. Each of the names refers to the whole product range (they vary a bit with specifics available and sizes depending on your label), not just a single product. Hence why calling DE1 "dr squiggles" massively adds to the confusion, because that's just VCAL/Cannova's 'we sell to pets' label.

They probably won't drink suitable levels it if you're doing water-based Calcivet without DE1 or anything else on top. It's sweet-tasting during drinking, but the aftertaste is bitter and offputting.
Calcivet is 2-5 times a week depending on age and stuff. Never more because too much of the stuff can create problems (deficiencies are talked about more, but neither end of the spectrum is good).
I'm wanting to cover other vitamins via fresh food so what is my best option? I bought only calcivet rather than BSP drops or tiny essentials to prevent overdose as I want to feed fresh
Ratless

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:16 pm

Have you bought already, or are you asking in advance of deciding?

I mean, you could try it and see if they'll drink it with only the Calcivet in there as I'm sure some people are less discerning taste-wise than others. But I wouldn't risk testing that out in summer, and I wouldn't bank on it (for anyone, let alone everyone you need to give it to). DE1 isn't the only suitable thing to cover up the aftertaste with - herbal teas work too :) But you need to be beady eyed for liquorice root in there, and citrus peel if watching for boys. But that is more faff.

You can also feed the water soluble Calcivet on fresh food; I did it like that for years before the insoluble version was easily obtainable. Or you could buy the insoluble Calcivet which works fine on fresh veg, no need to make up a specific carb-based meal to mix it up in. Like, veg with a low moisture content (e.g. squashes, some root veggies) require to be rinsed in water to be moist enough for the powder to stick, but everything else is naturally moist enough for it to stick just fine. I'm doing that for all my small people.

[To clarify though, Tiny Animals Essentials doesn't have calcium/ vitamin D in. It's just the insoluble small pot version of Daily Essentials, pretty much, so for anyone else using both, you're not doubling up as they're designed to be able to be used together.]

ami_j

Post by ami_j » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:30 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:Have you bought already, or are you asking in advance of deciding?

I mean, you could try it and see if they'll drink it with only the Calcivet in there as I'm sure some people are less discerning taste-wise than others. But I wouldn't risk testing that out in summer, and I wouldn't bank on it (for anyone, let alone everyone you need to give it to). DE1 isn't the only suitable thing to cover up the aftertaste with - herbal teas work too :) But you need to be beady eyed for liquorice root in there, and citrus peel if watching for boys. But that is more faff.

You can also feed the water soluble Calcivet on fresh food; I did it like that for years before the insoluble version was easily obtainable. Or you could buy the insoluble Calcivet which works fine on fresh veg, no need to make up a specific carb-based meal to mix it up in. Like, veg with a low moisture content (e.g. squashes, some root veggies) require to be rinsed in water to be moist enough for the powder to stick, but everything else is naturally moist enough for it to stick just fine. I'm doing that for all my small people
I've ordered it but it's probably not too late to remove it from the order. Wondering if the powder one might be better or whether it is worth using this instead http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vetark-Professi ... =bsp+drops and adding calcium powder. But would that mean I can't feed any fresh due to fear of Vit A overdose
Ratless

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:36 pm

I'd do the insoluble powder because it's easy to get in them (very fine powder and basically tasteless) and you don't need to worry about things. Maybe phone up and see if you can get it swapped? Although RR are usually very quick at processing deliveries, so you'd have to do it first thing! If not then the soluble Calcivet on fresh food is fine, it's just you have to be careful about the lid area because it likes to calcify and gunk up.

ami_j

Post by ami_j » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:50 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:I'd do the insoluble powder because it's easy to get in them (very fine powder and basically tasteless) and you don't need to worry about things. Maybe phone up and see if you can get it swapped? Although RR are usually very quick at processing deliveries, so you'd have to do it first thing! If not then the soluble Calcivet on fresh food is fine, it's just you have to be careful about the lid area because it likes to calcify and gunk up.
Will ask if I can change it then, the powder certainly sounds like it would be easier to stick on a bit of veg
Ratless

tabirat
Fancy Rats Team

Post by tabirat » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:24 pm

Great choice, because - to clarify - it would be pretty much impossible to feed enough copper and vitamin D too, via fresh foods unless you gave liver and oily fish in some form, most days. That's why the D3 contains all three. Calcivet is best used alongside DE1 or something similar.

ami_j

Post by ami_j » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:42 pm

I didn't buy Daily essentials I bought calcivet powder and plan on feeding copper rich ingredients in the mix
Ratless

Return to “Feeding”