RatRations food - Elderly/Kidney Friendly?

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
Wish

RatRations food - Elderly/Kidney Friendly?

Post by Wish » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi there!
My boys are now around 1 year and 8 months old, I've always fed them mainly a mix of RatRations n.7 and Harrisons Banana Brunch.
I am starting to wonder if it's time that I change their diet, so I have a few questions :oops:

Do you think it would be better to feed them the mixes n.8 and n.11, which are kidney friendly?

Can I still mix those with HBB or would it be better to leave them as they are?

Also, do I need to make any changes for supplementing calcium at their age?

Can I give them some dried fish as a treat from time to time?

Thank you in advance! :) :hearts:

tabirat
Fancy Rats Team

Re: RatRations food - Elderly/Kidney Friendly?

Post by tabirat » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:56 pm

Wish wrote:Do you think it would be better to feed them the mixes n.8 and n.11, which are kidney friendly?
Yes. You can assume that by this age, your rats' kidney function will have begun to deteriorate a little, so it's best to start easing the protein load, to slow the rate of progression.
Can I still mix those with HBB or would it be better to leave them as they are?
Even though your question is an 'either/or' the most accurate answer is probably 'yes' and 'yes'. Here you have to balance your aims in feeding and consider why you add the HBB... is it because you want the extra added vitamins/minerals, or is it for interest. If you are supplementing regularly (at least calcium, vitamin D and copper) I'd suggest using the mixes as they are, because that will be better for the kidneys. However, if you do it for cost or because you aren't supplementing very often, then by all means continue. Whatever proportion of the KF rat rations mix you add, it will improve the overall quality of the mix for an older rat.
Also, do I need to make any changes for supplementing calcium at their age?
Digestibility and absorption of all nutrients decreases with age, so arguably, making sure there is adequate calcium in the diet is more important. If you eat meat the odd chicken bone is great alongside regular green leafy veg and any supplements you choose.
Can I give them some dried fish as a treat from time to time?
Yes. :-)

Wish

Re: RatRations food - Elderly/Kidney Friendly?

Post by Wish » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:23 pm

Thank you so much for answering to all my questions Tabirat! :)

I feed them the HBB mostly because of the added vitamins (I also give them the Dr S supplements twice a week) , but I'd be happy to just give them the plain KF mixes in the future (once I finish the HBB batch I have) and making sure that they always get their supplements most days.

I don't eat meat, but I could get some chicken wings just for them. How often and how much would you recommend? (I only have two rats)

Thank you again!

Return to “Feeding”