Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Feeding

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Newbie looking for best treats
 Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:43 am 

Hi guys and girls I'm now the proud owner of two dumbo rat boys that are about 8-9 weeks old and looking for a good treat for them to help hand train them what do you all suggest???

Thanks

Kevin

Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for best treats
 Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:43 pm 

I use pumpkin seeds to hand feed as treats. Do you mean that they're nervous and you want them to get used to your hands being around, or are you actually training them? Because if it's the first, I'd recommend using yoghurt or something yummy on a spoon so that they have to stay near you and can't grab and run.

Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for best treats
 Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:42 am 

At the moment one of my boys is more than happy to come to my hand , lick and climb on it in the cage where the other is more hand shy , I open the cage door and make a noise as well as talk to them by name , I lift them out one by one and there getting better at being lifted out , what I've been doing is offering them small bits of crackers when out sometimes it's taken and sometimes it's not , they come out and 8 times out of ten make a b line back into the cage , so I still give them the cracker in the cage , I've set the cage next to my seat in the front room so they get used to me , my smells and noises

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Feeding