Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Feeding

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Feeding DailyRat3
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:23 pm 

Hi guys, I've recently started giving my rats DailyRat3 alongside their mix (Rat Rations 11a x HBB), and I'm really struggling to give it to my rats and it's getting quite stressful as I don't want them to go without supplements and end up getting ill.

Essentially my issue is, I'm struggling to make sure all 3 of my boys get the right amount per feeding (I give it - or maybe more accurately I try to give it - 3 times a week).

So far I've been taking one spoonful of DailyRat3 (which is supposed to be enough for the 3 of them) and mixing it with yoghurt (though I've just ran out of yoghurt and I'm not sure what to try next - any suggestions?)
Then I try to separate that into 3 equal quantities and give them all to the boys - but they very rarely finish what I give them. I'm worried they're not getting enough!

How do you guys give your rats DailyRat3? Do you give them it each separately or do you just serve it as one meal to them all at once?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post subject: Re: Feeding DailyRat3
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:08 pm 

We just sprinkle the DR3 onto whatever wet meal the rats are having, just making sure it's mixed in really well. You can put it on any moist food they enjoy - ours mostly get it on their evening veg :)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:42 pm 

I struggled to get it to absorb into wet veggies that weren't mushed up, or they avoided them, so now I mix it up into either baby food, weetabix, mashed banana, soft food from ratrations, and once or twice I've used custard.

If they don't finish what you are giving them it must be too much? I only give them about half a teaspoon of baby food and 1 tsp of weetabix per rat, the 3-rat spoon dose easily mixes in.

I give it three times a week, chances are if one gets a little less one day they'll end up getting a little more one of the other days. I give it to them by putting three dollops on a saucer, calling them all over and putting the saucer down. Mine eat happily next to each other, if yours squabble you could feed them on their own.

When you get to the end of your supply of DR3 you could switch to the type you put in the water instead?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:43 am 

Like Elizabeth, I just mix mine in with the rats' wet food and leave them to it. As the DR3 doesn't actually dissolve, I generally put it in something delicious enough that the rats will want to lick the bowl clean, so I can be sure that they've got all of the supplement. This also means that the rats are all especially keen to get their fair share, so I don't have to worry about individual rats not getting enough.

I also don't feed DR3 every day; I combine a few days' worth into two supplemented feeds a week. (That way I don't have to plan DR3-friendly wet food every single day.) Sometimes I use cooked veg, and as the DR3 just sticks to the outside of the veg and doesn't mix in as such, I also add a little drizzle of olive oil to encourage the rats to get every last bit. I also give them something animal protein-y once a week, and I always use that as a DR3 carrier as it's always very popular: most weeks it's tinned fish or scrambled egg, the DR3 mixes in very well with both of those, and they're always hoovered up with no complaints at all.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:42 pm 

Thanks for the advice everyone, you've given me some ideas for giving them their DailyRat3. I'll post an update with how I get on! :)

My only question is to [cub] - you say you combine a few days' worth of DailyRat3 into two weekly meals - so do you give them several spoonfuls of it?
For example, would I give my three rat boys two spoonfuls of it in two meals twice a week, as opposed to just one spoonful twice a week?

Thanks again! :D

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:17 pm 

rhubarb04 wrote:
My only question is to [cub] - you say you combine a few days' worth of DailyRat3 into two weekly meals - so do you give them several spoonfuls of it?
For example, would I give my three rat boys two spoonfuls of it in two meals twice a week, as opposed to just one spoonful twice a week?

Yep, pretty much. The micronutrients in DR3 can all be stored in the body and released later as needed, so the rats will be fine so long as they get the right amount overall in the long term.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Feeding