Raw meat?

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
charlie4591

Raw meat?

Post by charlie4591 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:30 pm

I raw feed my dogs and it got me thinking, can rats have raw meat/fish/bones/offal or does this need to be cooked? I've only ever fed rats cooked fresh protein before so I wasn't sure if their systems could handle it raw.

If anyone can share their experiences with this I'd appreciate it :).
Love to all my boys and girls at the bridge.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Raw meat?

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:37 pm

I'm sure they eat raw in the wild ;) - however, I don't know about the implications for pets, there could be issues with parasites. I haven't fed raw, but someone else may have looked into it.

charlie4591

Post by charlie4591 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:57 pm

Thanks Mary :).

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:04 pm

I did for a bit :) I stopped mostly on account of changing numbers of rats and the knock-on effects of it going from being a really easy way to feed protein to a much more complicated way. I'd be more cautious with fish than meat on account of parasitic burden.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

charlie4591

Post by charlie4591 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:21 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:I did for a bit :) I stopped mostly on account of changing numbers of rats and the knock-on effects of it going from being a really easy way to feed protein to a much more complicated way. I'd be more cautious with fish than meat on account of parasitic burden.
Thanks! I freeze the raw fish I give the dogs for a few weeks before they have it to kill any parasites so I assumed i'd have to do the same with rats.

Return to “Feeding”