Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Feeding

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: New to mixes, any guidance?
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:42 am 

Hi, apologies if I've got this in the wrong place!

I'm a fairly new rat owner and generally feed a pre-made rat nugget to my girls (that was recommended by my local vet). I would really like to get into making my own mixes but I'm completely clueless on how ti works or what to do. I understand the benefits of your own mixes but no idea how to pull them off!

I have had a read through these threads but sometimes it's like reading a different language s there are bits with measurements/types of mixes that I've never even heard of before.

I could really use some guidance and possible beginner mixes if possible?

Anything would be a great help!
Thanks x

Post subject: Re: New to mixes, any guidance?
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:28 pm 

I would definitely recommend getting yourself a copy of The Scuttling Gourmet if you're looking to make up your own mixes; it covers all aspects of rat nutrition and feeding in a clear and concise way and will answer a lot of your questions:

http://www.nfrs.org/sales.html

One of the main advantages of making up your own mixes is that you are in total control and so you can tailor what you put in them according to the needs of your rats. I'm hoping to take the plunge and start mixing up my own food soon as well, but as a good compromise (and if you're looking to move away from nuggets) the complete mixes from RatRations are excellent. I've been using them for a few years now and the rats look great on them (I would avoid the No7 though if your rats are inclined to put on weight easily, and you will also need to give a supplement such as Calcivet/DailyRat3/Calciform a few times a week to cover their calcium and vitamin D requirements) :luck:

Post subject: Re: New to mixes, any guidance?
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:03 pm 

ElizabethW wrote:
I would definitely recommend getting yourself a copy of The Scuttling Gourmet if you're looking to make up your own mixes; it covers all aspects of rat nutrition and feeding in a clear and concise way and will answer a lot of your questions:

http://www.nfrs.org/sales.html

One of the main advantages of making up your own mixes is that you are in total control and so you can tailor what you put in them according to the needs of your rats. I'm hoping to take the plunge and start mixing up my own food soon as well, but as a good compromise (and if you're looking to move away from nuggets) the complete mixes from RatRations are excellent. I've been using them for a few years now and the rats look great on them (I would avoid the No7 though if your rats are inclined to put on weight easily, and you will also need to give a supplement such as Calcivet/DailyRat3/Calciform a few times a week to cover their calcium and vitamin D requirements) :luck:

This is brilliant! Thank you so much. I'll definitely be buying that as well as checking out the site! :) It's good to know if you haven't started mixing your own yet, there is a site that can provide you with the right nutrition, wasn't aware of those sites at all!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Feeding