Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Feeding

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Which is better Reggie Rat or Burgess Rat Royale?
 Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:09 am 

Hi there,
So I purchased two beautiful male dumbo rats Deimos & Phobos on Dunday 14th May. They seem to be settling in alright. However I'm not sure on the food they are currently on. They both seem to rats and like it the breeder fed them on the same one "Reggie Rat" however I'm not sure it's the best.
I was wondering if I could get opinions on whether Reggie Rat or Burgess Rat Royale is good for my furry little friends.

Post subject: Re: Which is better Reggie Rat or Burgess Rat Royale?
 Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:06 pm 
Admin Aide

If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the Reggie Rat hands down. Nuggets are rather boring for rats, but if I was going to feed any pellet easily available in the UK it would be Science Selective as I prefer the ingredients (no poor quality meat protein).

There are a couple of articles on feeding which probably cover things far better than I could:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=57
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=56

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:21 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Reggie Rat isn't the best food, but it's a whole lot better than the burgess nuggets, don't switch to them! (Firstly, a nugget style food doesn't meet a rat's needs because they have evolved to enjoy varied tastes and textures, and secondly, the quality of ingredients that burgess use for their own brand and the PAH brand are very poor, and probably contain protein from foreign sources containing growth hormones because users have seen an increased incidence of tumours.)

I recommend having a browse through the Rat Rations website, there is postage to pay, but if you combine food with other provisions then you get the full value, and their complete mixes are the best quality available.

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:24 am 

So now I have looked into Reggie Rat it contains alfalfa and dried sweet corn which isn't soo good. Would I be better off just changing over to Mr Johnsons Supreme Rat good?

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:02 pm 

I use mr johnson rat and mouse mix but also add in fruity rabbit, rat rations kidney friendly, and then bits of cornflakes, pasta, good cat biscuit, rice puffs and few other bits. Mr johnsons have also brought out a nugget type, don't get this one.

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:25 am 
Fancy Rats Team

gwynniepig wrote:
So now I have looked into Reggie Rat it contains alfalfa and dried sweet corn which isn't soo good. Would I be better off just changing over to Mr Johnsons Supreme Rat good?

Alfalfa is just a waste of space, but dried sweet corn is fine in the UK - any problems you'll read about regarding mould spores relate to American corn. ;)

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:15 pm 

Just to note, "Reggie Rat" no longer exists; it stopped being produced a few years back and has been replaced by "Reggie Rat & Mimi Mouse". Although there is a duplication of part of the name, it is a different product (trying, badly, to meet the needs of two species with different nutritional requirements) introduced as part of the 'Tiny Farm Friends Tasty Mix' range.

Not a big thing in the grand scheme of things, but important to bear in mind when reading out of date reviews etc. as they're not talking about the currently available product.

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:52 pm 

Also a note that although Mr Johnson's is good in a mix like Caza said, I wouldn't use it on its own; it's too high in protein for non-juvenile rats. How old are your rats though? Depending on their age, they may benefit from some higher-protein extras for a couple weeks or so.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Feeding