Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Feeding

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: When to move to a kidney friendly diet
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:54 am 

Hi all!

My boys are two on the 15th October (in my head they are still kittens :( ) and I am wondering if now is the right time to move to a more "kidney friendly" diet....or if I should have done so a while ago??? They are all very healthy with lots of energy, good coats and no sign of HLD or other aging symptoms (touch wood). My current mix is, by volume, 50% HBB, 35% cereals (such as minimum sugar/salt corn flakes, puffed wheat, wheatabix), 10% James Wellbeloved Senior lamb and rice, 5% dried pasta and then a scattering of beetroot flakes, fennel seeds, cranberries, and cooked chic peas in each large batch of food that I make up. They get DailyRat3 1-2 times a week, fresh veg 3-5 times a week and the occasional cooked chicken or scrambled egg.

On the days that they do not get fresh food they get 20g of mix per rat. I know this is A LOT, I started on 13g and could not keep the weight on them so had to keep increasing it and decreasing it over a few months to get the right balance. They are a really nice weight on 20g but every time I try to lower it Frank really drops his weight fast, the other two stay quite stable. Are they getting too much protein for their age? I am doing a RatRations order this week so figured this was the best time to try to get people's opinions :)

Wildie baby boy: Moley :baby: :rattyrainbow: :hearts: You are always in my heart little one

Post subject: Re: When to move to a kidney friendly diet
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:42 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

I would suggest a kidney friendly diet should be given from about 18 months (although it's fine to give it throughout life, especially in a mixed age group), so definitely time to think about it.

Egg is gentle, as is soya, but probably best to drop the chicken. You could also maybe switch the lamb based kibble for a fish based one, and reduce the amount by up to half. The other key foods to consider are straight wheat and oats, and HBB has both I think, so you could reduce the proportion of HBB and replace with something else.

Rats vary in how much food they need, and if your rats need 20g then that's fine (in general, breeder rats tend to need a lot less than rescues do). If you include a more nutrient dense mix (such as one of the RR ones), then you may find they need a bit less.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:24 am 

Thanks for the advice Mary :D

I will order the RR No.3 with egg biscuits and start phasing that in and the HBB out. You are right, there are both straight oats and wheat in the HBB mix (I will still have to buy a small bag of banana chips in incorporate in otherwise I will have three very grump rats :lol:). With the RR mix having no added vitamins/minerals would you suggest that I double the DailyRat3, i.e. feed 3-4 times a week or is that too much?

Wildie baby boy: Moley :baby: :rattyrainbow: :hearts: You are always in my heart little one

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:13 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Yes I think DR needs to be given more often. If you were to use calcivet and Dr. Squiggles, then twice a week would be sufficient.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:30 pm 

Brilliant, thank you. I used to use Calivet+Dr.S for my girls years ago. I can't remember why I changed to DailyRat3 with the boys. I think it was causing arguments over the drinks bottles and I figured that sprinkling powder over their food was easier than having three vitamin bottles plus their normal water positioned strategically round the cage :lol: They have calmed a lot now so when my DR runs out in a few weeks I might try them on the drinks again :)

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:03 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Dr. S always causes squabbles! :lol:

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:19 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

hehe new name for it - Dr Squabbles! Perfect. :lol:

Running a pet sitting business

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Feeding