Which No7 mix and supplement help?

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
Lizzie47

Which No7 mix and supplement help?

Post by Lizzie47 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:53 pm

I've not posted in quite a while, I have been without ratties for quite a while but am very excited to be welcoming two new boys from a breeder early March. Having a look back into the ratty world and diet advice seems to have changed slightly alongside recommended cages etc so just getting back up to speed :)

I am thinking of feeding No 7 mix, but unsure whether to choose the egg biscuit or soya, what are the advantages of each? And does DailyRat3 need to be given daily alongside either of those options?

With my previous rats I gave 3 extra food items daily, for example veggies/fruit (occasionally), cereals, cooked pasta/egg, mealworms etc. Can I still give these alongside the above diet? This was mainly during free range time and added to games such as boxes filled with shredded paper or training. How often should I be giving protein items while they are babies and should these be cut back as they grow up?

Thanks or any help :)
Playing at the bridge: :dumborainbow: Honey, Treasure, Theodore, Blu, Daryl, Rick, Hershel and Glenn :hearts:

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Which No7 mix and supplement help?

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Welcome back to rats! :D

Soya and egg are alternative sources of protein in the RR mixes, they are just as good as each other, it just means that people who don't like using soya can choose egg instead. (I think there are ethical concerns about the producers of soya destroying forest in order to grow it.)

All the RR complete mixes are based on natural straight grains, so don't have the type of concentrated nutrient biscuit that commercial mixes include, so that's why supplements like daily rat 3 are needed with all of them.

While your rats are young (under 3 months) then they will probably need some extra foods (but check with their breeder because they know what their rats do best on), but after that, if you want to feed them anything during free range or as a game, then use some of their day's allowance of normal mix (usually about 15g per rat), or reduce it accordingly. The exception being fresh veg - they should have some of that at least several times a week anyway.

Lizzie47

Re: Which No7 mix and supplement help?

Post by Lizzie47 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:27 pm

Thank you for your reply :)

Ah thank you, I wasn't aware about that with soya. I saw it said to use the egg biscuit mix for those that don't like feeding soya and wondering if it was to do with health/nutrition reasons for the actual rats themselves.

Ok, I'll give them different veggies 3 times a week then and use normal mix :) I'll check with the breeder about giving extras also :)
Playing at the bridge: :dumborainbow: Honey, Treasure, Theodore, Blu, Daryl, Rick, Hershel and Glenn :hearts:

Return to “Feeding”