Food and times

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
Mrc1988

Food and times

Post by Mrc1988 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:25 pm

Hi,
Last week I bought Home 3 male rats, 8months Old. I am new to rat keeping and wanted people’s advice on feeding. The previous owner fed them on Selective pellets (link below). They are currently being fed in the morning and the evening totalling 75g. In addition to this I have given them a small amount of carrot and some boiled egg as treats every now and then. I would be interested to hear people’s opinion on this food and the routine of their feeding.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/ ... e-rat-15kg

Caza66

Re: Food and times

Post by Caza66 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:46 pm

I would recommend a muesli type mix or ratrations mix. Nuggets are boring for rats. Rats tend not to selective feed and will eat all food (except the alfalfa pellets in some muesli mixes). Also give them a mixture of fresh foods, veg and fruit. I would feed between 10-15g of food per rat split into 2 feeds. Scatter feed the dry mix and put the fresh food in bowls.

Some people make their own mix, the scuttling gourmet is recommended. I’m sure there will be other ideas being offered too. Good luck.
My current gang :hearts: Drax, Rocket, Groot, Star-lord, Yondu, Neb
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:26 pm

I agree - scatter feed a dry mix, but I would start off with 15g per rat, your boys are still teenagers, and probably going through a growth spurt, so may even need as much as 20g each. Weigh it out, and if you see them getting fat then reduce it, but if they seem to lose condition then increase it.

Mrc1988

Post by Mrc1988 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:01 pm

Thank you for both your answers, what dry mix would you recommend? Can I just switch over or should I introduce it slowly with their current food? What do people think to feeding 2 smaller portions morning and evening rather than just one larger portion?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:11 am

Splitting the food is fine - it's especially helpful if there's a greedy rat in the group as it enables the others to get more of a fair share.

The best mixes are from Rat Rations, choose one of the complete mixes 7, 8 or 11, and supplement either with daily rat 3 (powder), or Dr. Squiggles daily essentials and Calcivet (liquids).

To make the most of your postage allowance, you can also order substrate, and accessories from there.

Return to “Feeding”