Looking for a new complete mix/base mix

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
Noodles

Looking for a new complete mix/base mix

Post by Noodles » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:15 pm

I normally purchase RatRations #11 but have noticed that they are closed until 3rd May. My food stocks are running low and sods law I'm going on holiday on 4th May for 17 days. I'd rather get some new food in place for them before I hand them over to my mum to be looked after.

My current lot of RatRations is infested with moths now (pantry moths I assume) which has put me off buying it a bit. I keep it in an airtight container so am sure no bugs found their way in after receiving.

Does anybody have any good replacements? Either complete mix or a base mix which I can add to. I've heard mixed reviews about Reggie Rat so am considering Mr Johnsons. I've also found something called JR Farms which has good reviews but haven't seen anybody talk about it here.

Any advice?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Looking for a new complete mix/base mix

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:04 pm

You can kill the moths off by freezing what food you have left - it's the temperature that causes them to hatch out, there's no negative effects on the rats, but it isn't necessarily nice for you.

The commercial mixes all have something wrong with them - poor quality protein, too high in protein or fat etc., but in the short term, if you mix several together then you may be able to minimise the downsides.

Alternatively, you could try this mix:
6 jugs of a fruity rabbit muesli
0.5 jug of wild bird seed (choose one without suet and low on sunflower seeds)
0.5 jug of fish based dog kibble
2 jugs of low sugar and salt free cereals (e.g. bite size shredded wheat, value cornflakes, rice cakes)
1 jug of dried herbs

You should be able to find those ingredients in supermarkets and pet supplies shops, or you could order most from https://www.purelypetsupplies.com/

Noodles

Re: Looking for a new complete mix/base mix

Post by Noodles » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:28 am

Great tip about the freezing - I'll definitely do that in future. You're right, I wasn't worried too much about the moths/eggs harming the rats, it just wasn't very pleasant!

Thanks for the recipe, I'll give that a go this time and see how they get on :D

Return to “Feeding”