desiccated coconut a choking hazard?

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
Our Mrs Reynolds

desiccated coconut a choking hazard?

Post by Our Mrs Reynolds » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi all,

I know coconut is healthy for ratties, so I started to give my young boys some dessicated coconut that I had from cooking (the very fine, dried stuff). They liked it, but I suddenly wondered if they size of the peices is unsafe. It's too small for them to really chew, presumably, so might it get stuck in their throats?

Any thoughts or experience of this?

Thanks!
Instagram @littlest_starfleet for Little Riker & Little Picard

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: desiccated coconut a choking hazard?

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:04 am

I don't know about that - I use larger flakes.

[cub]

Re: desiccated coconut a choking hazard?

Post by [cub] » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:17 pm

I wouldn't have thought the size would be a particular problem. Either it's big enough for them to chew, in which case they'll chew it until it's small enough to swallow, or it's small enough to swallow to begin with. As I understand it, it's mostly texture that affects choking risk: sticky or claggy things tend to cause choking more often. It is possible to choke on just about anything, though, particularly if the rat is overly eager and forgets about the whole chewing thing. :lol:

Not sure coconut is particularly healthy either; it is quite high in fat so I'd feed it in moderation. Good way to increase the fat content of a mix without raising the protein content though.
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

Return to “Feeding”