Page 1 of 1

desiccated coconut a choking hazard?

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:59 pm
by Our Mrs Reynolds
Hi all,

I know coconut is healthy for ratties, so I started to give my young boys some dessicated coconut that I had from cooking (the very fine, dried stuff). They liked it, but I suddenly wondered if they size of the peices is unsafe. It's too small for them to really chew, presumably, so might it get stuck in their throats?

Any thoughts or experience of this?

Thanks!

Re: desiccated coconut a choking hazard?

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:04 am
by cyber ratty
I don't know about that - I use larger flakes.

Re: desiccated coconut a choking hazard?

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:17 pm
by [cub]
I wouldn't have thought the size would be a particular problem. Either it's big enough for them to chew, in which case they'll chew it until it's small enough to swallow, or it's small enough to swallow to begin with. As I understand it, it's mostly texture that affects choking risk: sticky or claggy things tend to cause choking more often. It is possible to choke on just about anything, though, particularly if the rat is overly eager and forgets about the whole chewing thing. :lol:

Not sure coconut is particularly healthy either; it is quite high in fat so I'd feed it in moderation. Good way to increase the fat content of a mix without raising the protein content though.