What is good and what is not

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
Thor101

What is good and what is not

Post by Thor101 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:57 am

Hi I’m new here and here is a bit of an introduction. I am new to keeping rats. I have just got 2 rescued rats, both female and about 6 months old. They have a large cage with different levels and plenty of space and things to keep them entertained while I’m at work.
Having searched the internet to research diet there are so many contradictions as to what you can and can’t feed your rats, is there a list on here or a link to an accurate list of suitable and unsuitable foods.

CorbinDallasMyMan

Re: What is good and what is not

Post by CorbinDallasMyMan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:35 am

For the most part, if you eat it, your rats can eat it. Not everything is healthy and some things can cause issues if fed in larger amounts (spinach, citrus, onion, etc) but most things from your dinner plate can be nibbled on safely in small quantities. Table scraps and various things from the fridge generally don't make for a balanced diet on their own, though.

You can find well researched mixed-ingredient diets from sources like RatRations. The Scuttling Gourmet and IsamuRats can be good sources for researching creating your own diet. A quality block/kibble supplemented with a variety of fresh veggies and a dry mix is another acceptable option. Anything else (treats, table scraps) can be fed in moderation.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: What is good and what is not

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:23 am

Yes we have a list - there's a link to it and our other most popular articles in this post :luck:

Return to “Feeding”