Good food to start with

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
oowie

Good food to start with

Post by oowie » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:43 pm

I have been without rats for 7 years. Will get2 male boys in a couple weeks.
For now, to start easy, i would like to use a food that can be bought in the store..

I can get science selective, beaphar care +, hopefarms blocks or mix, reggie rat... what to choose.....?
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Good food to start with

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:49 pm

Could you not order food online? Rat Rations is way better than any of those (I recommend #11). You can get your bedding and some accessories at the same time to use up your postage allowance. ETA - just spotted you're in Europe, so maybe that's not going to be easy for you!

If you really can't shop online, and you don't want to make up a shunamite diet mix, then combining several commercial rat foods is probably better than using just one.

Most nugget/pellet style foods contain pretty awful ingredients, not to mention the lack of enrichment in the homogeneous taste/texture, but you could use science selective for about 1/3 of your mix. Perhaps reggie rat for another 1/3, and then another rat muesli for the last 1/3 (the hope farms mix could be okay). It's not ideal though, and the protien levels are probably going to be too high long term, so either make your own mix as soon as you can.

Incidentally, rats do best in groups of 3 or more, so I'd advise you to start with a trio rather than just a pair.

oowie

Post by oowie » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:44 am

I have been looking around and now a days i can order a good shunamite style mix online here in the netherlands. With daily eseentials and calcivet.

I start with two rats because my husband doesnt want a large group because of the smell. We used to have big groups before and he was very sensitive to the smell.

We start with two. When it goes well and the smell isnt too bad, we can always ad 2 young rats when these two are about 1 year old.

I have bought a ferplast furet kd cage for them. It is large for only two, but maybe not big enough for four?
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:39 am

That sounds a much better option for the food. :D

I would suggest the social needs of the rats have to trump your husband's imagined problem with smell. ;) Smells can be controlled with the right substrate and diet, so if you need help with ideas, let us know what you used to use.

If the furet KD is the Furet Plus (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Furet-Plus-Rat ... B00SSXJ59I, then it's easy to extend with a second one (these are commonly found second hand in the UK, which makes them quite cheap, don't know if it's the same on the continent), making a tower that is big enough for a group of 5. :luck:

frodo quin

Post by frodo quin » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:49 am

I personally believe that it depends on different circumstances how many rats fit in a cage (personality, is the cage always open…), but a plus is usually too small for 4 rats. Making it into a tower would be good option or getting a RS, CN or little zoo venture. I personally prefer those kinds of cages.

Return to “Feeding”