Edible gnaw treat for boys on a diet?

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
Little_Lovelies

Edible gnaw treat for boys on a diet?

Post by Little_Lovelies » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:40 am

Hi all,

Anyone got any good tips for a healthy edible gnaw treat that takes a long time to eat a little of? My boys’ previous owner really over fed them so they’re on a diet and absolutely manic at meal times. I’d feel a lot better being even stricter with their portions until they’re a healthy weight if they had something that they could gnaw away at in between meals if they were desperate.

Thanks!

[cub]

Re: Edible gnaw treat for boys on a diet?

Post by [cub] » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:00 pm

I'm not sure if any gnaws would work as portion control, since unlike dogs, rats' teeth have specifically evolved to gnaw so something that's challenging for a dog is going to pose very little trouble for a rat. You could try something like a rice bone, but given the way one of my girls demolishes them when she's allowed them, I keep them as a treat more than anything. I'd be inclined to fill them up on fresh veg instead, if you want to reduce their portions at mealtimes. And the more challenging you make their regular feeding (scattering in a deep digging box, for example, instead of just in their tray base, or using a puzzle feeder aimed at parrots) the longer it'll take them to eat.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32), Zephyr Nyahir, Zephyr Zymandis, Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth), Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

frodo quin

Post by frodo quin » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:21 pm

I would feed more greens and make their dry food less accessible by scatter feeding, hiding it throughout the cage, in cardboard boxes and folded or stuffed toilet rolls…

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:55 pm

A hazelnut in its shell will take them a good long time to get into. Nothing takes them long to eat once they've got access to it though. :lol:

Little_Lovelies

Post by Little_Lovelies » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:30 pm

Wow great ideas thank you all!

In terms of the puzzle feeders, could anyone link to one that they use? There are so many out there that I'm a bit overwhelmed and would love to find one that someone else's ratties loved from a reputable source (non-toxic plastic etc.) They have a pets at home treat ball but I'd love them to have more food dispensers to keep them busy : D

frodo quin

Post by frodo quin » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:34 pm

These are popular https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Foragin ... V4G03Q0N6C

Regarding the plastic: I don’t know how safe it is. I assume the same as other plastic pet care stuff. If they still use BPA… in plastic food packaging for human consumption, I don’t have much hope for pet products.

Your average dog/cat/bunny intelligence toys can be used too. They come in wood as well, but I would be careful to only use the once that are made of wood safe for rats.

Return to “Feeding”