Fresh foods my rats ate today

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
acapae_wolf

Re: Fresh foods my rats ate today

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:41 am

Last night mine had carrot, mushroom, Brussels sprouts, a bit of red cabbage, tomato, radish, thyme and dill. They also had a couple of eggshells to crunch up/ lick the raw egg out of (I try and always give them them), a bit of yoghurt and the babies had some banana.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

cookielucylou

Post by cookielucylou » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:01 pm

I didn't realise they were ok with raw egg-I'm going to make the babies scrambled egg today, so I'll give the adults the shells.
Would they be ok with a whole raw egg or would that be to much?
Destiny rattery Breeding towards russian silver, russian blue and siamese.

razcox

Post by razcox » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:16 pm

Well last night they had a treat of a corn on the cob and a small chicken wing, tonight they will have some peas, tomatos and maybe some dandilion out the garden.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Proud doggie mommy to Cassie, Ela and Raina - http://www.lukoinortherninuits.co.uk, rats Cookie (Buff), Pip (Russian Silver Agouti), Noodle (Russian dove?) and Skye (Russian Blue). :girly:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:43 pm

cookielucylou wrote:I didn't realise they were ok with raw egg-I'm going to make the babies scrambled egg today, so I'll give the adults the shells.
Would they be ok with a whole raw egg or would that be to much?
The only reasons you'd avoid raw egg are the salmonella risk, and mess.
The stats for salmonella in the UK described to me as current was something like 'if a 40yr old woman has eaten an egg every day of her life without fail, then perhaps a single one of those eggs will have been at risk from having the bacteria'. Not a precise % risk, but low enough for me :)

A whole raw egg would be fine (a few threads on old FR about it), but very messy!

If I put them in when still wet, my rats tend to lick the shells out, and then break the eggshell up so that they can eat the thin film layer. The shell is normally crunched up too, and I don't always see it again :lol: However if I wait till they've dried out (takes over a day in my house), then the skin is easier to get and they don't crunch them up. These shells I use for enrichment; shove veggies inside two halfs and ram them together and they have to open it to get the veggies :) And because those shells are dried, I can use them repeatedly.
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Anabrese

Post by Anabrese » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:36 pm

We're all having raw pizza tonight because I have just made it :) with some vegetable sides like bell pepper, salad greens, tomato etc.

Hobbit Stealer

Post by Hobbit Stealer » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:58 pm

Raw pizza?
Formerly known as Hobbit Stealer

Ratmum to Bilbo, Pip, Milo, Iroh and Zuko. 2 Lady Gerbils - Gandalf and Radagast. Baby Spider - Shelob <3
Loved&Lost: All my sweet boys... missed dearly <3

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:24 am

The girls got treated to a leftover chicken and vegetable mini pie (about the size of a saucer) last night, and I caught Lucy stashing treats in what's left of it this morning lol
Mummy to: Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured, Sugar Coated Accident, Violet Hill and Paracetamoxyfrusebendroneomycin.
RIP to the many at the bridge xx

cookielucylou

Post by cookielucylou » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:59 am

Last night the babies had scrambled egg and kale and the adults had a mix of chicken bones, egg shells, kale, squash and potato peels.
Destiny rattery Breeding towards russian silver, russian blue and siamese.

Anabrese

Post by Anabrese » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:54 am

Hobbit Stealer wrote:Raw pizza?
lol, yes! Seed base, then tomato sauce topped with bell pepper, tomato, olive, chopped basil, and finished with a pine nut cheeze and some dulse and sesame seeds. They all seemed to enjoy it. :D

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Hobbit Stealer

Post by Hobbit Stealer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:40 pm

Anabrese wrote:
Hobbit Stealer wrote:Raw pizza?
lol, yes! Seed base, then tomato sauce topped with bell pepper, tomato, olive, chopped basil, and finished with a pine nut cheeze and some dulse and sesame seeds. They all seemed to enjoy it. :D

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
That's a cute idea :D For some reason, when I posted, I was thinking of like.. defrosted uncooked pizza :rollred: :lol:

Tonight my ratties had part-cooked pasta with steamed broccoli, peas, carrot and garlic and also some pieces of chicken with sweet chilli sauce on as a treat. My OH's brother had said I could eat his leftover chicken that he'd made too much of if I wanted... so I ate some but gave most of it to the rats when no one was looking...
Formerly known as Hobbit Stealer

Ratmum to Bilbo, Pip, Milo, Iroh and Zuko. 2 Lady Gerbils - Gandalf and Radagast. Baby Spider - Shelob <3
Loved&Lost: All my sweet boys... missed dearly <3

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Last night the boys had; Lemon grass, chives, Pak Choi, yellow pepper and grated carrot with DR3. Kind of boring, but I'm snowed under with work at the moment, so they just had a bit of our stir fry minus the noodles.

Tonight they'll probably just have a couple of cans of Applaws between them all... I'm too busy to cook for anyone tonight!... I shouldnt even be on here :(!
Anthony & Edward, Liam and Spartan

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:15 pm

A slice of wholemeal bread torn up and soaked in the leftover juice from our ratatouille (tomato puree, tomato juice, bit of oil, mixed herbs) went down a treat, they also have some pork bones (with a little pork left on) for free range tonight
Mummy to: Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured, Sugar Coated Accident, Violet Hill and Paracetamoxyfrusebendroneomycin.
RIP to the many at the bridge xx

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:49 pm

Falafel, green peppers, mushrooms, coriander leaves (diced), kale, sweetcorn and blended tomatos with Enchinacea & Golden Seal and their DR3.

They'll be having some more food later. We're currently going through some messy introductions and it seems they are eventually getting on! So tonight, they're being free ranged tonight and they are going to get some extra food then! Probably just some kale and carrot though...
Anthony & Edward, Liam and Spartan

Nikorusama

Post by Nikorusama » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:59 pm

mine are having cooked macaroni and some sweetcorn.
Hammama to Kaiji and MiuMiu and Vanilla

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:59 pm

Tomato, carrot, grean beans, kale, stir fry mix (small amount), mushroom, parsley, dill, banana, orange.

The babies (9 1/2 weeks) have had a bit of milk, and everyone else has got the remainder of that watered down.

Return to “Feeding”