Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Feeding

Page 55 of 55 [ 824 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55

Post subject: Re: Fresh foods my rats ate today
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:26 pm 

I make it myself. You can buy a complete soft food from RatRations, or just make something like porridge out of oats if they are only getting it as a treat. There are loads of recipes in the Scuttling Gourmet book. Have fun!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:12 pm 

Thank you. I have just got that book in the last few days and today I made the Liver biscuits which they had for their supper. They went down very well.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:27 pm 

Grated broccoli, carrot and courgette. Diced tomato and Swiss chard cut into tiny bits. Mixed with a little bit of olive oil, a grinding of dried garlic and a pinch of flax seed. Spoiled little bratlets!

Seems that all veg previously rejected are delicious when grated. Don't use oil v often, but wanted them to get used to new flavours with a bit of encouragement.

What are you giving yours at the moment Beri?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:20 pm 

It's sardine and veg day today, so happy ratlets. Might try them on a chunk of pineapple later and see what they make of it. Youngsters are gaining weight slowly and growing and fatty has lost another 7g, which I'm v pleased about.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:31 am 

Leftover stew (asparagus, courgette, babycorn, broccoli, peas, sweetcorn, tomatoes, and borlotti beans for the most part), with added soaked RR7 and cheesy broccoli babyfood. Plus DR3.

nom nom

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:46 am 

Pepperpots wrote:
What are you giving yours at the moment Beri?

Hah, I missed the direct question! They've not been getting anything particularly interesting because they're all starting to feel their age now, so my feeding emphasis is slowly heading over to more keeping weight on. Which doesn't involve all that much in terms of bits of fruit/ veggies I'm not eating as those bits tend to be less nutritious for the amount of eating/ digestion required, so not what you want to feed an old rat who's thinking about losing weight.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:15 pm 

This week's discovery is that eating fenugreek leaves leads to urine that I swear smells even more pungent than the leaves themselves, and as good as Back 2 Nature is, it apparently can't cope with the after-effects of this particular leafy green veg. :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:21 pm 

i have been reading this post with interest and have now got a list of foods to feed my two boys, looking forward to making things for them (if my mom lets me in kitchen) lol

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:47 pm 

With only 4 rats, most days they only get 1 type of fresh food (e.g. mushrooms only come so small :P ) so I haven't posted on here much as "today: kale" isn't terribly exciting-sounding. So I was wondering if I could post with fresh foods my rats ate this past week instead?

Last week:
- cooked carrot, celery, onion, and thyme (from a soup I made; this was very popular, even the onion)
- reheated frozen spinach with a drop of olive oil (for stirring in their vitamin/mineral supplement)
- cooked broccoli stem (a frequent favourite in our household; the rats will fight over it if I don't chop it into enough pieces)
- tinned salmon (another regular, though less frequent favourite)

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:37 am 

Last week:
- cooked carrot and celery (from the same soup as the week before; I froze the rats' portion so they wouldn't have to eat it all at once)
- cooked broccoli stem
- cooked green bean ends
- cooked cauliflower (all the little bits that fall off as you chop one up scrape together to make a substantial rat portion)
- cooked chestnut mushroom
- cooked radish
- reheated frozen spinach
- reheated frozen grilled aubergine, courgette, and pepper (there are some interesting things in the supermarket frozen aisle these days!)
- tinned salmon and kippers

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:10 pm 

Oops, it's been a busy few weeks.

Last week:
- cooked asparagus ends (the woody end that you snap off; human teeth aren't quite up to the task, but rat teeth are)
- cooked green bean ends
- cooked carrots
- cooked portobello mushrooms
- cooked radishes
- frozen vegetable mix (carrot, celery, onion, swede, turnip)
- scrambled egg
- cooked sheep bone
- Natures Menu Venison with Blueberry (extra protein for post-op healing)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:38 am 

My poor rats were too hot on Tuesday and sleeping on the ladders and sprawled on the floor of the cage. I gave them a fan which helped blow the hot air about a bit and they seemed to like it.
They also got a dish of water with frozen peas to dunk for. They loved them :lol:

JarJar looking a bit hot and bothered but enjoying his pea :hearts:
ImageIMG_3185 by Lara Day, on Flickr

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:11 pm 

Today mine are having a root veg, pasta, Pearl barley,and split pea casserole. I bought a tiny casserole dish from poundland and its great to pop in the oven along side our meals. :D

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:07 am 

My guys got cooked spinach this evening which they really liked :P

Page 55 of 55 [ 824 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Feeding