Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Feeding

Page 54 of 55 [ 824 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next

Post subject: Re: Fresh foods my rats ate today
 Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:38 pm 

Today we've had broccoli, clover, cleavers and lemon balm (I love summer!)

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:09 pm 

Clover, dandelion, ribwort plantain and lovage today :) I'm using this as a bit of a personal challenge to get out and forage for interesting edible greens and keep things interesting!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:06 pm 

small amount of left over spag bol, curly kale, spinach and carrot

Departed Ferret babies: Milo & Sam

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:42 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

I have located a very good foraging spot in Leyland, so managed to get them some interesting stuff. They got;
dandlion (of course)
wild garlic leaves and a flower
goose grass
bramble leaves
a couple oak leaves on a twig (the twig was the best bit)
platain
dock
cow parsley
and interesting grass seed head my husband found

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:58 pm 

Pasta, rocket, curly Kale, Carrot, purple sprouting broccoli (home grown), spinach and rocket.

Departed Ferret babies: Milo & Sam

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:31 pm 

Leftover BBQ and foraging from Sian's garden tonight: mint, lemon balm, curry plant, coriander flowers, raspberry leaves, mushroom, red pepper, bit of burnt not-haloumi, chicken skewers, sesame seeds, and corn on the cob remains.
Also a really rather gross and somewhat hairy 2nd hand cow knee bone...

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:54 pm 

Mine have had some rather more pedestrian (but also less gross :lol: ) blueberries, lychees, and kai lan.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:25 am 

Tiny bit of tomato rice with strawberry and lump of banana. Kale, dandelion, parsley, basil, mushroom, peas, sweetcorn and carrot. Hurrah for frozen veggie mixes!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:30 am 

Mine have had peas, sweetcorn and broccoli tonight :)

Sometimes they get green beans, carrots, cauliflower, tomatoes and dandelion leaves.

I dont eat much fruit or veg myself so most of what they are having atm is frozen, hopefully i can find some more exciting frozen foods!

Amy :)

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:23 pm 

The pesks have refused to eat things foraged from the garden and are turning their noses up at kale. Not giving up yet though.

Today they had:
Buckwheat mush with spirulina for brekkie
Kale, tomato, red pepper, mushroom, few bits of mini sweetcorn and red lettuce
Cooked kidney bean each

I've got a bit obsessed by these mushes. I alternate oats, bran, brown rice flakes, bulgarwheat, quinoa, chia seeds, millet flakes and buckwheat flakes. I soak rather than cook, but I'm very aware they don't really need them. However, as someone who can't leave the house on her own (bad ME) it's just so lovely to be looking after something rather than being looked after.

I've cut down their dry mix and they don't get treats or bits of my dinner. Hopefully this and plenty of exercise will keep them trim.

I'm beginning to think I should tuck into some, but the texture is a bit grim for someone who can't stand porridge!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:48 pm 

Today they tucked into bamboo shoots (from tin), water chestnuts, rocket, basil, red lettuce, carrot and a bit of baby corn.

As usual they gave me their 'I hate you - that's not peas!' look ...

Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:31 pm 

I'm determined to get this thread started again - need inspiration!

Breakfast was usual mixed grain mush with sardines, little bit of banana, blueberries and carrot. The grotbags ate everything, except the carefully licked carrot ....

Only having a little bit of mix today, to temp them to eat their greens tonight.

Think they'll have green beans, mushroom, courgette and purple lettuce. Might have to microwave the beans and courgette a bit to persuade them it's edible.

Stupid fussy rats! :roll:

However, they are all looking really well on this diet. They eat every scrap of the RR mix, m
Mr P has lost weight and improved coat. Plus poos are less stinky and wet. Hurrah!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:01 pm 

Mine had blueberry for breakfast and for tea they had chicken and a stir fry mix of veg, but they also left the carrot. Can I ask what is mixed grain mush ? I also need ideas as I seem to struggle with what to give them and how often I should give that particular food.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:16 pm 

I guess it's like a sort of homemade porridge made of millet, buckwheat and rice flakes, red quinoa, chia seeds, buckwheat seeds, bran, bulgar wheat, oat powder, super green powder and lots of different dried veg. I mix it all together in a tub, so quick and easy to make.

They really don't need it, but they love it. I soak 10g between three overnight and take that amount out of their dry mix. Probably makes around around a teaspoon each, if that. They don't seem to be putting weight on, but they only get about 13g of dry food/day each plus plenty of veg.

I suspect it's probably better just to give them mix, but it's a little breakfast routine we've got into.

Basically I have far too much time on my hands!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:10 pm 

Thank you. Do you mix all the ingredients yourself? Or buy it. Sorry to sound dumb but it sounds like something I would like to give my two girls for their Saturday morning breakfast as I always try and give them a little treat breakfast on a Saturday.

Page 54 of 55 [ 824 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Feeding