Commercial Base Mix?

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
Moomuffin

Commercial Base Mix?

Post by Moomuffin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:40 am

So having not had rats for around 10yrs, my copy of The Scuttling Gourmet is now a little outdated and a lot of the suggested commercial base mixes are now no longer produced, so just wondering what ones are used now?

I know Harrison’s Banana Brunch is but not sure if I can source locally and not sure if I will be ordering off Rat Rations or not yet. If I can purchase locally would be a bonus so is there anything suitable from supermarkets or Wilko? We also have a Pets at Home, Pets Corner and a good independent pet shop.

Is Pets at home rat muesli any good? Or is it best to stick to rabbit mixes?

Moomuffin

Re: Commercial Base Mix?

Post by Moomuffin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:31 am

I’ve also come across these which I’ve never seen before. I’m doubting they would be any good on their own but any good as part of a mix?

https://www.wittemolen.com/en/products/puur-rat

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-One-Com ... ood&sr=8-6

Are any of these rabbit mixes any good?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/6A ... 7155430031

The Mr Johnson’s range also looks good. I have rabbits and I usually mix some rabbit Royale with rabbit pellets so I could potentially order a slightly bigger bag of rabbit food and use it between the rabbits and as part of the rats mix.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:53 am

PAH's rat muesli is not awful (unlike their own brand nuggets, which should be binned) but the first ingredient listed is alfalfa, so it'll be quite wasteful. If I had run completely out of food and desperately needed something right now to tide me over in the short term, I would be happy enough to feed it if nothing more suitable was available, but I wouldn't specifically buy it otherwise.

A better choice of base mix that ought to be relatively easy to find on shelves is Supreme's Reggie Rat (now rebranded as Reggie Rat and Mimi Mouse, even though it's not great for mice). Mr Johnson's Special Rabbit is also a decent base that I think some rat breeders use nowadays (though it's terrible for actual rabbits). If you can get both, I'd suggest mixing the two; each has is own shortcomings, but they're different shortcomings, so together they might complement each other.

I've also heard of people using some of Wilko's own brand rabbit foods as bases. Annoyingly their website doesn't have ingredients or nutritional info listed, and I haven't got a Wilko near me (shocking I know) to check, but I seem to recall browsing them once and thinking that some of them looked awful but others looked okay. So there'll be something suitable in there but they're definitely not all equally good.

Regarding the foods you've listed:

The Puur annoyingly looks good in terms of macronutrient and micronutrient composition, but the ingredients are extremely vague. I'd be uncomfortable feeding it as a major component of a diet without more information on what precisely is in it.

Little One is rather high in both protein and phosphorus. Fine for youngsters, but would feed with caution in adults, and would not feed to seniors.

None of the Extra Select foods look good. They all involve large amounts of high-fibre foods, which might be good for rabbits but is wasted on rats.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Moomuffin

Post by Moomuffin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:20 pm

Thanks Cub that is very helpful

I always thought reggie rat was awful and recommend to avoid? Unless it’s changed in recent years that is. I’m guessing it’s the better one to use over Pah or wilkos muesli?

When I go for a wander in town later in the week I will pop to wilkos and the range etc and have a look at the foods they have and ingredients/analysis etc see how they compare. I’ve still got over a month until the babies will be ready anyway so plenty of time to work out a suitable mix based on what’s easy for me to get

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:30 am

[cub] wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:53 am
None of the Extra Select foods look good. They all involve large amounts of high-fibre foods, which might be good for rabbits but is wasted on rats.
I use Extra Select large pea and that's fine, it also has great copper levels.

It's worth using two different mixes to even out any faults though. I also like Copdock Mill golden flake rabbit.
http://www.petfeeds.co.uk/Catalogue/Sma ... 5Kg-GFRMI0

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:14 am

Moomuffin wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:20 pm

I always thought reggie rat was awful and recommend to avoid? Unless it’s changed in recent years that is. I’m guessing it’s the better one to use over Pah or wilkos muesli?
I fed Reggie rat to my young boys over Xmas until rat rations reopened. I'd considered feeding it to them in between orders, but my boys didn't eat the smaller bits in it so I found it rather wasteful so now I just order larger quantities from RR.

Whatever you decide on it's worth getting smaller bags to start with to see if your rats will actually eat the full range of ingredients. It's quite disheartening cleaning them out and finding a whole load of uneaten food.

Moomuffin

Post by Moomuffin » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:12 pm

Thanks for the replies :)

Yes I’m just trying to see what I can find locally in smaller bags to begin with as buying huge bags for a small-ish number of rats I feel would be silly, especially as I only use a small amount of muesli for the rabbits added to their pellets for a bit of variety.

Also going to check out the rat rations postage as may just be easier to order depending on cost

Return to “Feeding”