fresh food/DR3

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
Kesjo

fresh food/DR3

Post by Kesjo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:02 am

my ratties are on RR mix with DR3.
I have 3 rats. How much DR3 should i use and how often?
I feed them fresh foods daily. I have made a cooked mix with veggies and cooked carbs and i have that frozen in icecub trays in the freezer. Fresh proteins i add once or twice a week, for the younsters daily offcourse.
They love dried fishes.good for omega3 i think?

What are good veggies to feed? My fresh mix now contains:
Broccoli
Carrot
Peas
Kale
Cooked brown rice
Cooked buckwheat

What does your fresh menu look like and how much do you feed and how much DR3 should i use?
Do they need any other suppelements?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: fresh food/DR3

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:39 am

For 3 rats it will be one scoop of DR3, and I would give it 4 times a week.

Be careful not to give too much fresh veg - it is full of water, and may fill the rats up without providing a lot of calories, which the youngsters will need. The veg you listed is all fine.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:13 pm

As a counterpoint, I give a lot of veg daily (about the same weight of veg as dry mix) and my rats seem to do well on that. I'd actually be more inclined towards caution with the cooked carbs: they're an easy source of calories, which is great if you've got an ill or old rat that's struggling to keep weight on, but can otherwise lead to tubbiness if you're not careful. If you're giving cooked carbs daily, you may need to feed slightly less dry mix to compensate. Weigh them regularly, keep an eye on their body shape and condition, and check the substrate and favourite caching spots to see if there's food left over. That should give you enough information to assess if you need to adjust how you're feedling. For what it's worth, I feed fairly similarly to you it sounds like: dry mix and fresh veg daily, and fresh proteins twice a week.

Dried fish may or may not be high in omega 3: oily fishes like salmon and sardines yes, white fishes not so much. They're also high in protein so I wouldn't give too many to adults.

The daily dose of DR3 for 3 rats is one slightly heaped scoop. You can give it every day if you like, but as Mary said a few times a week is likely fine, particularly if they get the occasional bone or cuttlebone to gnaw on.

Pretty much any veg you can eat is fine for them. Since you have bucks, it's best to avoid foods high in d-limonene. The list is actually quite long but the main things to watch out for are citrus, mangoes, ginger, and celery leaves. I just save edible veg trimmings from our own cooking and give it to them (e.g. cauliflower stems and leaves, green bean ends, mushroom stems, etc.)

I don't think they striclty need any other supplements if they're getting a varied diet, but I do give them some Dr Squiggles Daily Essentials (or equivalent) a couple times a week as a bit of arse-covering. :P
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Kesjo

Post by Kesjo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:20 pm

Thanks, the fresh veggies are fed in moderation, but daily.
At the moment i feed 15gr dryfood per rat per day. With the 2 new youngsters i have to see how that works out.
I think i will feed them one icecube of the carbs/veggies mix with some added fresh veggies, about the same amount, for 3 rats together?
Does that sound like too much?

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:56 pm

That sounds fine; you can always see how you go. How much to feed is a very individual thing anyway, and a lot of it has to do with the environment which is going to differ from home to home. Some rats live in cool sheds and need a lot more calories than rats that live in warm flats.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Kesjo

Post by Kesjo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:23 pm

Between the 3 of them they eat 80gr dryfood in 24hours and still seem to be hungry. They also get a fresh meal once a day. They have full round bellies.
Sounds like they eat a lot, and i will keep an eye on their weight and see how it goes.
Do you already scatterfeed with young rats? And do you feed a amount dryfood daily, like maybe 15-20gr per rat, or do you just refill when everything is finished?

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:05 pm

If they're old enough to be homed out, they're old enough for scatter feeding. I do a fixed amount per day (though I usually split it into morning and evening meals for various reasons) and while they're settling in I check the substrate regularly to see if they're eating it all and adjust the amount I feed as needed. 80g plus a fresh meal every day between 3 sounds like a lot; are they actually eating it all, or are they caching some?

Return to “Feeding”