Do you feed a vegetarian diet ? (adult rats from 6 months and older)

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters

1.Yes, complete vegetarian
33%
2.Yes, vegetarian dryfood, but i feed additional animal proteins (why and what and how often?)
33%
3.No, the mainfood also contains animal proteins (why do you choose this?)
33%
4. other
No votes

Total votes: 6

oowie

Post by oowie » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:42 pm

Curious about your opinions on this subject, please choose your option and explain if you like.
formerly izi

CharlieBrown

Re: Do you feed a vegetarian diet ? (adult rats from 6 months and older)

Post by CharlieBrown » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:55 pm

I have been feeding my rats a purely vegetarian diet for a few years now. Also, it started before my current pair. Those two bubbles just inherited this way of feeding from their predecessors. Why do I do it? First of all, I am also a vegetarian so my lifestyle is influential on the way I treat my pets. I have a little garden in my backyard so I always make sure to have fresh and healthy veggies for the two. Except for wintertime but nowadays I have deliveries I know I can trust. My rats are healthy and I always make sure they have all the vitamins and minerals they need.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:00 pm

I feed a mix with the protein element provided from a variety of sources - good quality dog kibble which is generally fish for dogs (salmon/sardines/white fish) or a new one I'm trying which is insect based, dried fish or water creatures/insects, and sometimes soya. They also get bones etc. left over from our meals. Youngsters get meals with all sorts of protein sources in them including chicken, eggs, and tuna.

oowie

Post by oowie » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:59 pm

I voted for option 2. vegetarian drymix, with once a week/every 2 weeks, a boiled egg, or some salmon.
formerly izi

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:10 pm

I myself am vegan, but we have other pets in the house that eat meat/fish items, so the rats will occasionally get bits and treats from their food that's suitable, mostly just to add a bit of interest, and as some additional protein when they're kittens alongside plant based sources.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:26 am

For those feeding a vegetarian dry mix - what is your protein element if it's not soya?

oowie

Post by oowie » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:36 pm

I don't mix myself because i only have 2 rats. I buy a ready made mix from a webshop. These are the ingredients:

Barley flakes, paddy, corn flakes, buckwheat, millet, pea flakes, pasta (wheat, spinach, tomato), barley, puffed rice, soy flakes, hemp seeds, brown rice, oat flakes, spelled flakes, wheat flakes, quinoa, lentils, linseed, split peas, buckwheat flakes puffed spelled, puffed wheat, puffed millet, puffed quinoa, carrot, beetroot, broccoli, pumpkin seeds, milk thistle seeds, parsnip, bell pepper, tomato, pumpkin, dandelion, plantain, thyme, parsley, dill, chervil, celery, oregano, banana, coconut , seaweed.
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:42 pm

That sounds like a rat rations mix :D .. and it's soya based.

RobertScarborough1952

Post by RobertScarborough1952 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:09 am

I once went to the wrong vet and he diagnosed hypertrophy, so for about 1.5 months I didn't give my rats any meat, etc. I noticed that the coat compared to before was grey, less shiny etc., and the rats were less active. I went to the best vet I could find, who himself has rats at home and he said that they have to eat meat, because it is their nature and it is necessary in the development of the rat. Rats hunt and eat carrion, so obviously they need it to live. You shouldn't have to decide for them. There are foods with animal products like Versele laga rat complete, but mine and I know many rats won't eat them.

oowie

Post by oowie » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:10 pm

What are others opinions on this subject? Do you think that all rats need some kind of animal protein in their diet?
(Quantity depending on age)
formerly izi

Return to “Feeding”