Tips for taming skittish girls

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
Charlieandfriends

Tips for taming skittish girls

Post by Charlieandfriends » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:59 pm

Hi all,

We adopted two new rats a three weeks ago and have been trying to tame them but we are struggling. They were rescued from someone who did not want them anymore and are clearly not used at all to being handled. When we have rescued rats previously we have used the confidence method which has worked amazingly and had great results, however with these girls they squeak when picked up, flinch away from being touched and one has even bitten out of fear. I wouldn't mind taking it slow however the girls seem extremely bored and are monkey baring on the cage and seem to want to be out all the time, but I am afraid to free roam them due to their extreme skittishness. They are currently in a ferplast as they are in intros with our two current confident girls, and will be moved into a pet planet cage eventually but they seem so bored and I worry I am not making any progress.

Any help and advice would be appreciated, sorry for the long post.

[cub]

Re: Tips for taming skittish girls

Post by [cub] » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:55 pm

Given that they're still in intros and clearly really don't like being handled, I'd just focus on the intros for now. They've got a lot of new things to get used to, and extensive handling when they're not used to it may be too much for them right now on top of everything else. Once they're fully settled with their new friends they may pick up some confidence from them, plus I suspect the poor access of most intro cages isn't going to be helping so it should be easier to interact with them once they're in their final cage.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Charlieandfriends

Re: Tips for taming skittish girls

Post by Charlieandfriends » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:53 pm

Thanks for the reply! They're doing very well in intros so within the next few days I'll pop them in the big cage, as you say I think this will be a lot better for them as at the moment they are jumping at the noise of the cage door opening etc, which isn't an issue with large double door cages. I just feel so bad for them as they seem extremely bored and restless, but hopefully when they've got lots of space and a proper wheel they might calm down somewhat and then we can go ahead from there :)

Return to “Other care”