New Rats

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Shay

New Rats

Post by Shay » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:13 pm

Hi all, I have just been given 2 baby boy bucks. I have always owned rodents so I am quite knowledgeable when it comes to behaviours etc. But 1 of my boys just stays in his house. The other is out exploring (very big cage) and eating and has even learnt his name.
Its a new environment for them I get that but usually curiosity gets the better of rats and 1 of them is not interested.
Any advice would be welcomed.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: New Rats

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:32 am

First check that they are both boys, in case the one who's hiding is a pregnant female.
Next, remove the house so that he can't hide, and that will help him realise there's nothing to be scared of.

Are you getting them both out for handling? Don't wait for the shy one to come to you, he may choose not to and then you'll have continuing problems - get them out, take them to a sofa (cover with a fleece throw) in another room, and play with them (put out things for them to explore and climb on). :luck:

Rats actually do best in groups of 3 or more, so he may be worried by the lack of others watching for danger, but he may just be less outgoing than the other.

Little_Lovelies

Re: New Rats

Post by Little_Lovelies » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:25 am

Hi Shay,

Welcome to the forum!

How's your little guy doing now, any improvement? And how long have you had them?

Return to “Behaviour”