Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Breeding and birthing - what happens when things go wron
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:42 pm 

This afternoon I have found my dear Mercedes dead, with rigor mortis set in. Eleven mewing kittens together, and one very cold kitten outside the nest area. Mercedes had not even made a proper nest, and had not fed the kittens. At 11.30 Mercedes looked fine and fat, at 3.30 she'd been dead some time. I'm now waiting for the lovely Halcyon to get home from work so I can borrow a foster mother for the litter. All I can do is keep the 12 kittens warm, knowing their lives are extremely precarious and success is unlikely and wait for the next few hours, hours that are already feeling an eternity. So sad, poor Mercedes, poor kittens.

http://www.mulberryrats.com

Post Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:53 pm 

I'm so sorry to hear this :(
I hope you are okay and the kittens thrive with new mum.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:20 pm 

update 13 days on: Just 2 kittens survived with their foster mother (who was only rearing two 2 1/2 week old kittens previously). The others 'disappeared' in the first few days. The difference in age between the kittens, 2 at 4 weeks, 2 at 2 weeks doesn't seem to phase Sable the foster mother, and the little buck and doe are doing well. Even before their eyes were open though, they did try to trail around after the bigger kittens, less nest bound than my kittens usually are.

http://www.mulberryrats.com

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:07 am 

s a rat keeper for over ten years a year and a half ago after a break I got two lads. I decided I wanted to survive the one who has the loveliest temperament. I had ignorantly allowed an unplanned planned litter years ago and felt after reading up on rats and becoming a more involved keeper I would be much more clued up this time.

Finding the genetics a tad sinister I nievely took on a blue doe and a cinnamon doe from a lady of preloved intending litters of blue point Siamese (my boy is Siamese). The lady said the blue rex doe had had a litter already and was a good mother - the does were 4 months.

They quickly both fell pregnant -21 days later Makeda the blue doe spotted however she then stopped bleeding and did not seem in labour the next day but was her normal self however she then bled in the night and was contracting throughout the next day eventually with no sign of the babies and more blood I took her to the vet where she died during the cesarean. I had left it too late. The vets surprised at a rat having a difficult birth so when the exact same happened a week later with Ernestine I was devastated but totally stumped as to why? Ernestine survived the cesarean as I acted sooner but she died two days later.

Since this I have felt that I should explore breeding & basic genetics and amongst other things Ive found that breeding from the two different main lines would have not got me blue point siamese but black and brown pups.

Note: edited to remove the discussion element which is repeated in the OP's own thread.

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care