Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Leaving rats alone?
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:45 pm 

Hi,
I feel rather guilty about posting this and possibly leaving the ratties alone but it's my only option if I want to visit home over christmas and not be on my own. I was maybe thinking of getting the train home late christmas eve and have the opportunity for a lift back for lunch time boxing day, I can't leave my rabbits alone for two nights as they need to constantly eat to keep their gut moving and they'd eat all their pellets in one sitting which may cause tummy upsets but my pair argue if they don't get their pellets on time so can't not give them so I'd be taking my 3 rabbits with me. I can only just handle the two rabbit carriers and my suitcase on the train, plus I don't have a holiday cage for the ratties so was hoping they'd be ok on their own for two nights. I'd give scatter feed pellets in their fitch, in boxes, treat balls, put some chews in etc. They aren't particularly active, they're four lazy, healthy boys.

Would anyone else consider this or do you think it's a bad thing to do?

Playing at the bridge: :dumborainbow: Honey, Treasure, Theodore and Blu :hearts:

Post subject: Re: Leaving rats alone?
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:10 am 

I've left mine home alone with a friend going in just to check on them once a day. I have food hoppers I put in. I don't think you can get what I have but they're a plastic version of these http://www.johnhopewell.co.uk/default.a ... ductid=139
Can a neighbour pop in and check on them?
Where shouts in east Yorkshire are you?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:46 am 

I left my rats alone a couple of years back for a day and a half over the Xmas period. I bought some extra water bottles and scatter fed about 3 days worth of food just to be sure. They were fine.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:24 pm 

I've left mine overnight before, but with a full day either side, so probably about 36 hours altogether. They should be fine, just make sure they have more than one water source and leave them with plenty of food (preferably hidden around the cage so they have something to do!)

I'd be worried about leaving them for that long if I had oldies or anyone who was not 100%.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:24 pm 

Thank you for all the replies. They have two large water bottles which going by what they would normally drink but I'm going to add another one anyway. Unfortunely I live in student flats and don't really know anyone, all we get is people around us banging on the walls as downstairs are very loud/like a drink haha! My uni friends all go home over Christmas as well so I have no one to pop in. :(

ETA: I'm in Leeds, east Yorkshire is my old location

Playing at the bridge: :dumborainbow: Honey, Treasure, Theodore and Blu :hearts:

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:44 pm 

Try joining the Yorkshire rat club facebook page. There are lots of people in Leeds and someone might be able to look after them for you.
There are shows in Leeds too so worth checking out the local club.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:00 am 

Thank you for that suggestion, I will do that :) Although it may be difficult as I don't drive and couldn't carry a cage on the bus so transport anywhere is difficult.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:41 am 

Nothing to do with your thread or query - but I just noticed your rat names - love them. I've only recently commented (after watching 5 seasons of TWD in about 3 weeks due to addiction! ) that if I had a new baby rat - I wanted it to be a Hershel :)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:12 pm 

We will often leave the girls if we go away for a night - we just pop in an extra water bottle and scatter feed more than usual. We've never had any problems.

If we're going away for two nights we get someone to pop in, we've always just found someone from a pet sitting agency.

They should be fine for that amount of time x

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Other care