Baby rats having baby rats from their brother?

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
alysrats123

Baby rats having baby rats from their brother?

Post by alysrats123 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:07 pm

Ok. So I'm new on this forum so I apologise if I am posting on the wrong side of the forum and things like that.

So anyway, I bought 3 little rats from pets at home last Saturday [23/01/16] the reason they were from Pets At Home is because there were no rats in rescues near me and definetly no breeders. But anyway, I supposedly bought three girls called Nevaeh, Serenity and Naomi. Naomi on the other hand, is a boy. We havent checked proffesionally or anything but I am almost certain. And earlier today I thought I saw a bulge to Serenity's abdomen which means she could be 2 weeks in to her pregnancy. :o Also bearing in mind there is Nevaeh as well. It really isn't something I want to put them though.

My mum told people at work about our situation, and someone said that they can have an injection to make the baby rats pass away, but I would feel like I'm killing innocent baby rats but they would be deformed as the rats are so young and they would be deformed :cry: And after that we would get Naomi neutered and then it should be OK?

The reason I posted this was to get an experienced rat owner's opinion because I'm worried this is a stupid plan and it won't work out. Please reply. :)

Many thanks
------------------------------------------------
Alys

ElizabethW

Re: Baby rats having baby rats from their brother?

Post by ElizabethW » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:36 pm

I don't know much about this kind of thing, so I'll leave proper advice to the members here who do, but this article should help you to check the sexes of your new rats:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51

If you're still not sure, you could post up some pictures and I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you one way or the other.

If you definitely have a boy and two girls you will need to separate the boy - were they all together in the tank in Pets At Home?

I'll leave any more advice to more experienced members here, but sorry to hear that your introduction to rats hasn't been a very calm one so far.
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:21 am

Hi Alys, sorry to hear that you're in this position. The pet trade is notoriously careless/uneducated when it comes to sexing rat kittens. :(

The first thing you need to do is separate the buck kitten from the does, and then consider how best to give him company - either by finding a similar aged male kitten if you are going to keep him, or by homing him to someone who already has similar aged male kittens. (ETA Neutering isn't advisable until a buck is around 6 months old.) If you don't have a spare cage, then he will be okay in a carrier for a day or two, and you could look for a cheap or even free cage in local ads or on ebay. Alternatively, there may be an FR member near you who could lend you a cage - roughly whereabouts are you?

Rats have evolved to be able to rapidly reproduce when necessary, so although it is not good for young girls to have litters, they can, and the babies are highly unlikely to be deformed even if their parents are brother and sister.

Rats have also evolved to be able to end a pregnancy at the drop of a hat if conditions aren't right. This is called reabsorbing, and the unborn babies simply get reabsorbed within the mother's body.

I don't think that there is an injection that will end a pregnancy for a rat, but there is a drug called galastop which can be used to trigger reabsorbtion (your vet may not have heard of it, but if you use the search facility on here then you'll find posts with dosage amounts). It's not always successful, but worth trying, and a lot cheaper than raising two litters.

If you choose to go ahead with the litters, you will need two low level cages for the mothers to give birth separately in - Pets at home should provide these free of charge because the litters are their fault. They are likely to suggest you give them the kittens to sell, and to return the buck to them, but please refuse, otherwise they will profit from their mistake, and who knows where the babies might end up.

There is a lot of information on this board and in the articles section on raising litters if you opt to do so, but first you should decide what you want to do. We're here to help you either way.

alysrats123

Post by alysrats123 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:31 pm

Thankyou all for your sweet replies!

I'm not exactly sure now if the rat is a buck. And I had to make a heartbreaking desicion of rehoming my lovely Nevaeh, as she kept chasing and biting Serenity. I just saw Naomi [suspected buck although not entirely sure] doing a similar thing to Serenity although not quite as extreme, I am now feeling as though I have made a terrible decision.

I really feel horrible for little Serenity, and we are unable to have a proper look to sex them because they aren't tame enough. I have been dreading buying from Pets at Home, but only because I am supporting an inhumane way of supplying pets, I didn't know they were going to be this bad behaviour wise and things like that. My suspicions for Naomi could be she is an adult rat that was put with Nevaeh and Serenity after someone bought her sisters etc so she could be older. But, at the same time, she eats an awful lot for just a regular rat, and drinks almost constantly, so I am getting suspicious that she could be pregnant. I read on somewhere that you should always make sure rats have food in their bowls, because they onlyeat if they are hungry, but she eats quite a bit.

You honestly don't know how much it reassures me that I have everyone on here to support what I should do.

Please help.

Many thanks,
Alys
Last edited by alysrats123 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jem Q

Post by Jem Q » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:36 pm

How bad were the bites?
If Serenity is pregnant it could be that her sister picked up on hormonal changes, change in scent etc.
Rats will squabble generally, we tend to say no blood, no foul.
What part of the country are you in? Perhaps someone could lend you a spare cage to split the potential mum into.

alysrats123

Post by alysrats123 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:44 pm

There was not too much visible damage, but Nevaeh did it all the time and it really scared Serenity, so much so that she shivered in fear. Now I feel like I was just being over protective and should'nt have returned her. :(

Jem Q

Post by Jem Q » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:23 pm

:(
What's done is done, now you need to focus on Serenity if she is pregnant. You could use galastop to end the pregnancy still but it's up to you to decide.
Has she been split from the possible boy yet?
Do you have any way of getting pictures up on here so we can sex them for you?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:29 am

Could you take some pictures of them climbing on the side of the cage? If any of them is male, then you should be able to see large testicles at the base of their tail - is that what you saw on Naomi? Boys will also be a little bigger than their sisters, so maybe that explains Naomi's size because an adult rat would be twice the size of babies, they grow very quickly.

If there is an experienced rat owner near to you, then it might be possible for them to sex the rats for you (if your parents agree, of course). They could also assess the rats' behaviour and give you tips on how to handle and tame them... it could just be that Serenity's shivering was actual her vibrating which is what does do if they are in season (i.e. ready to mate, it happens roughly once every 5 days). When a doe is in season, her cage mates may chase and mount her, even if they are also female, so perhaps that's what you saw. Could you take a video?

I'm sorry you felt you had to return one, but if you have changed your mind and she's still there, then I'm sure they would let you have her back - however, knowing what sex each of them is would help in that decision.

There is no harm in baby rats having food all the time, but once they reach about 3 months old, then you will need to restrict their food to between 15 and 20g each per day. The internet is full of poor advice, so don't believe everything you read. ;)

alysrats123

Post by alysrats123 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:16 pm

Hello.

Sorry I haven't had chance to reply, but I still read your kind replies.

Ok so it has been confirmed that Naomi is a girl, Serenity is not pregnant, but we found some little scabs on her back and a noticable one on her nose, therefore, we had to give up Nevaeh :cry: I thought hard about it, and it was the right thing to do.

Anyway thankyou for all your advice, and I'm very sorry for wasting your time.

I appreciate your replies so much.

Alys xx

Return to “Other care”