Double Rex advice please

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
MrsNorm

Double Rex advice please

Post by MrsNorm » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:36 pm

Hello everyone.

I've had rats for many years but never a double rex.
My husband got given a box at work (he works in a garden/pet shop. In this box was a little boy that I assume is a double rex. I can't seem to download a pic on here.
He's coming home tomorrow.
Can anyone give me any advice on whether he'll need special care?
He'll have fleece bedding and loads of nice warm places to snuggle.
I'll also get him a friend once I know his health is okay.
Thank you
Mummy to: Izzy my double rex girl. Monkey my chinchilla. Maizy, Jack and Doug my dog's and Henry my axolotl xxxx

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Double Rex advice please

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:29 pm

Depending on just how hairless he is, I think the main issues with double rex relate to hairs not growing as they should - ingrowing eyelashes, cysts in the skin, that sort of thing.

He will manage fine once he's got some furry friends to snuggle up with - but he'll probably appreciate it if you warm your hands up before handling him. ;)

MrsNorm

Post by MrsNorm » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:01 pm

Thank you loads. I'm now making him loads of snugle beds, hammocks and tubes x
Mummy to: Izzy my double rex girl. Monkey my chinchilla. Maizy, Jack and Doug my dog's and Henry my axolotl xxxx

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:16 am

MrsNorm wrote:I'll also get him a friend once I know his health is okay.
Rat companions are really important, especially at his age - how about reserving a couple of buck kittens from this rescue to pick up in a week or two? :luck:

Blank_Page

Post by Blank_Page » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:41 am

I got 3 boys and one was thought to be a double Rex as he was virtually hairless. Since he has grown a gorgeous full fur in with no bald patches. I don't know if he is a double Rex and will get bald at some point again but when he had hardly any hair he just spent a lot of time cuddling his brothers to keep him warm. Its possible that because he was the runt he was undernourished (5 brothers) and now there's less competition for food he's got all his fur. In which case he may not be a double Rex at all. I have noticed he was most active compared to the others as a baby so he probably kept himself pretty warm
Mummy to five gorgeous boys!

Dargo (cream/agouti broken hooded dumbo Rex), Crichton (white/silver silky smooth top eared striped roan)
Rygel (agouti Rex dumbo), Pixel (Siamese dumbo), Levi (Siamese double Rex dumbo)

Return to “Other care”