So my baby boy is a baby girl!!!!!

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
MrsNorm

So my baby boy is a baby girl!!!!!

Post by MrsNorm » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:51 pm

My new ratty Remy is actually a girl!!
The place she came from had her mixed in with boys!
I've been told she's between 8 and 10 weeks. I've had her just under a week.
How do I know if she's been caught out? I've weighed her and she's 160g.
Mummy to: Izzy my double rex girl. Monkey my chinchilla. Maizy, Jack and Doug my dog's and Henry my axolotl xxxx

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Re: So my baby boy is a baby girl!!!!!

Post by Mayamy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:52 pm

Obviously there's no way to be 100% sure unless she starts looking really round. I hope for her sake she's not as 160g is tiny and I don't imagine a litter would do her much good :( As she's a baby she should be getting extra protein and a decent amount of mix anyway so just keep doing that.

You could chat to your vet about Galastop which can be used to terminate pregnancies in rats. Fishing for a quote that was quoted in an old post:
Stovokor wrote:The UK branded Galastop is 50 µg/ml. From my maths and trial and error, 3 drops = 0.1ml and 'regular' dosage is 0.1 ml/kg body weight (equivalent to 5 μg/kg).

For reference the dosage for pregnancy cessation is:
0.1ml BID per 100g of bodyweight for 7 days, or
0.2ml BID per 100g of bodyweight for 3 days.

The lower and longer dosing is better tolerated in terms of no tummy upsets. Main side effect in mice and rats, is that it can interrupt the normal season frequency for around 2 weeks post-dosage, but that's not really here nor there in a pet situation.
The cut-off period is pretty much nil with mice/rats/dogs, they abort right up until they are due to birth (less than 48hrs to go).
If she has a litter, there's some useful info *HERE*

No experience with breeding myself so hopefully someone with more will come along and correct anything I've messed up / fill in gaps.
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

MrsNorm

Post by MrsNorm » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:59 pm

Thank you for the reply. I'm really hoping she's not too.
Mummy to: Izzy my double rex girl. Monkey my chinchilla. Maizy, Jack and Doug my dog's and Henry my axolotl xxxx

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:35 am

MrsNorm wrote:The place she came from had her mixed in with boys!
Best not to give your custom to a place like that.

At that age, her weight is indeed shockingly low, so hopefully she is sufficiently stunted to not get pregnant, but rats can be annoyingly good at getting pregnant in undesirable circumstances, and it would be a terrible strain on her so I second the suggestion of galastop.

If she does end up producing a litter, then you should demand a cage from the place you got her (but definitely don't return any babies to them). If she's not, then she will need female companions asap - a couple of kittens from this rescue would be ideal.

MrsNorm

Post by MrsNorm » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:52 am

I weighed her last night and she weighed 164g so she put on 4g in one day.
I will contact woodgreen to get her a companion :-)

Return to “Other care”