Galastop useage

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Galastop useage

Post by Rhian33 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:49 pm

This thread has been prompted by a couple of conversations I have had with people recently about using Galastop.

It has been increasingly common for Galastop to be recommended where there is the risk of an unwanted rat pregnancy. I have been wondering for quite some time regarding the safety of use in the latter stages. I am 100% convinced regarding it's use when the date of the possible mating is known and it is used early on in the pregnancy. However, I have heard anecdotal evidence from people about how effective it is in the latter stages to worries about deformities and other health issues. There was also a thread here last year http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtop ... 0&start=15 where galastop was administered but wasn't effective but the babies all died shortly after birth.

Does anyone have any evidence regarding safety please? I am aware it's not licenced for this purpose but thought there may be some info out there.
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

RedFraggle

Re: Galastop useage

Post by RedFraggle » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:53 pm

There's a thread on the NFRS forum where the doses for ending pregnancy are given. Based on what those that use it say it's pretty reliable when used quite late. Not used it myself though (as I only keep boys these days)
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:00 pm

I would just add that in the thread quoted, the babies were all born and lively. The reasoning of their death is presumed to be infanticide by the mother, hence they were all spontaneously gone and eaten overnight a couple of days after being born.
Whether this behaviour of the mother could be tied to hormonal response as a result of the galastop use I cant say (there were certainly other factors in play), but as far as Im aware the galastop itself did not kill the babies directly.
Doug, witless provider to :
Ratties :smile: ex-lab boys Boxer and Spot
Budgies Freyja and Haiku.
:rattyrainbow: 43 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Jess :rattyrainbow:

squeakrat

Post by squeakrat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:54 pm

I can't find anything that explains the mechanism by which it triggers abortion. It reduces prolactin levels, so it's likely to be some indirect result of this (hormone interactions are always complicated, and prolactin could impact on lots of things).

I would have thought that it's possible that if it's given later on in the pregnancy, that if mum does give birth, she'd have difficulty in feeding the babies (prolactin stimulates milk production). I don't know how long it would take for levels to return to normal though.

Prolactin also has a role in maternal attachment, so this is why infanticide might have occurred in the case above (I'm just speculating though).
Jenny x
:girly: Meg, Scout :dumbogirly: Daisy
:rattyrainbow: Lola, Ruby, Chick, Hope, Pocket, Belle, Dory, Silvermist, Poppy, Tarka, Jasmine, Flora, Penny, Lyra, Cassandra, Luna, Wren, Merryweather, Harper, Izzy, Tigger, Squeak, Bandit, Vandal :rattyrainbow:

Feline

Post by Feline » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:04 pm

squeakrat wrote:I can't find anything that explains the mechanism by which it triggers abortion. It reduces prolactin levels, so it's likely to be some indirect result of this (hormone interactions are always complicated, and prolactin could impact on lots of things).

I would have thought that it's possible that if it's given later on in the pregnancy, that if mum does give birth, she'd have difficulty in feeding the babies (prolactin stimulates milk production). I don't know how long it would take for levels to return to normal though.

Prolactin also has a role in maternal attachment, so this is why infanticide might have occurred in the case above (I'm just speculating though).
This study is in cats, but probably correlates with what is seen in rats http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15036977

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:21 am

That's an interesting study. I think it supports the possibility that if a rat is in their final week of pregnancy, then it's not advisable to begin using galastop. Of course, I realise there is perhaps little ethical difference between an intended late abortion and death soon after birth, but if it's likely to be the latter, then people might want to bear it in mind.

Has anyone used it in the final stages and had the litter survive?

bazu

Post by bazu » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:07 am

squeakrat wrote:I can't find anything that explains the mechanism by which it triggers abortion. It reduces prolactin levels, so it's likely to be some indirect result of this (hormone interactions are always complicated, and prolactin could impact on lots of things).

From here:

The elimination half-life following a single dose of [Galastop], in rats, is approximately 60 hours. The prolonged prolactin-lowering effect of [Galastop] in the target organ is most likely due to its slow elimination and long half-life.

It sounds like, at the very least, you could assert that it takes "too long" for milk levels to return to normal, which might have been the steering factor behind the infanticide? (Mum couldn't feed the babies and so decided to deal with it another way?)
Currently servant to Pidge and Hunk.

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-seven beautiful whiskery angels

shiprat

Post by shiprat » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:54 am

I'm very uncomfortable about the current trend of using Galastop in pregnant does.
I have used it myself only twice. On one of these the doe became poorly and died and on post mortem I found partly reabsorbed foetuses and pyometra. I'd heard previously about this happening and although I personally have only this one bad experience with Galastop I've lost several does here mid reabsorption, so I know it often doesn't go smoothly. I think now I would use it on a poorly doe if it was definitely really early in the pregnancy, but not at all after say 5 days. I've also heard anecdotally several times now about babies being born and dying - which also says to me that if they do survive it they are likely to have problems or, as referred to above, the doe has had difficulties with lactation.
Rat Out of Hell Rescue.

shiprat

Post by shiprat » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:00 pm

Another consideration for me is that cabergoline in human useage comes with a very long list of unpleasant potential side effects which I have ethical issues about putting rats through.
Rat Out of Hell Rescue.

Stovokor

Post by Stovokor » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:01 pm

You may run into issues with galastop if it's out of date/the mixture has started to separate/been exposed to heat, or more commonly, underdosed.
For it be effective, the dose needs to be accurate, hit and miss will not cut it, neither will the therapeutic dose recommended for pituitary tumors etc, which is the mistake many make.

Many people also seem to assume that galastop works on the babies and kills them directly or deforms them so they cannot live, rather than cutting off pregnancy hormones so the pregnancy cannot continue, and it's a shame there isn't a bigger amount of usage data out there to educate those interested in it and vets. Many prescribe the dose advised for PT tumours, and well....It's often ineffective and people tend to go ZOMG EVIL galastop...which is a shame, as it can be incredibly useful.

Regarding infanticide etc, I have not noticed a behavioral change towards babies in those does I have used it on, and they still happily clean and tidy babies when in contact with them. I've had multiple occasions of does birthing in groups/pairs etc and used galastop on those that are pregnant/not birthed already. They still help out their cage mates who had babies though, and I've had 4 incidences of spontaneous lactation even after giving galastop, it was around or shortly above 75+ hrs later than the last dose.

There is at least a few studies on PubMed regarding rats and mice and galastop. Will link when on PC.

Return to “Other care”