Not sure what kind I have??

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
aimain

Not sure what kind I have??

Post by aimain » Sun May 15, 2016 10:30 pm

So I got a rat a month or so ago and it said he was variegated. He was white with gray spots across his head and back.

Now, he is basically grey with white hair mixed in. He also has a darker grey stripe across his face now too. He's not around me because I'm not home, but if I recall he has no pure white on him anymore when he used to have specific areas for white and grey.

What kind is he? I've read up but it's hard for me to get a picture in your head of a written description.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

aimain

Re: Not sure what kind I have??

Post by aimain » Sun May 15, 2016 10:48 pm

By the way, I just got home and looked. His belly is still white!

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon May 16, 2016 8:11 am

Is he the only rat you have? It's very important that rats have some rat companions, so if he is on his own, I recommend getting a pair of kittens to introduce to him (however, make sure the new rats are definitely the same sex as the one you already have!).

I can't work out what variety he is - the problem is in him getting colour where he didn't used to have any. There are several varieties that lose colour, but none that gain it. Unless he is pearl based, and has switched from pale pearl to dark phase pearl :? ... some then and now photographs would be a huge help please. ;)

aimain

Post by aimain » Mon May 16, 2016 9:44 am

I have 4 in total. No, he's not the only one. :)

And I'd love to post photos, but I'm not going to lie, I can't quite figure out how to! I'll ask my husband later on today.

aimain

Post by aimain » Mon May 16, 2016 8:27 pm

[imgImage[/url][/img]

Perhaps this will work...

aimain

Post by aimain » Mon May 16, 2016 8:32 pm

Image[/URL]/img]

This is what he looks like now. Unfortunately that before picture is the only one besides maybe this one, where you can see the clear white spot

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue May 17, 2016 8:22 am

The white belly, drag up over his shoulder, and the white head spot are all part of his markings - I'd say possibly essex.

However his colour is independent of the marking, and does look as though he could be mink, so I'm going to stick with my guess of pearl.

So that would make him a dark phase pearl essex (mismarked).

(It's probably just down to the angle, but he looks younger in the final picture than he does in the other two.)

aimain

Post by aimain » Tue May 17, 2016 8:45 am

Yay! Thanks for your help! :)

Return to “Other care”