Verifying colours

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
rofay

Verifying colours

Post by rofay » Wed May 18, 2016 10:39 am

Just curious as to whether I have correctly identified my rats. From L-R this is what I think they are:

Cliff - mink hooded; Nutmeg - agouti hooded; Pepper - champagne hooded; Terrence - champagne hooded; Brian - black hooded.

Cliff's the one I'm least sure about. He looks greyer in some lights and brown in others. Originally we were told he was blue but more recently after doing my own research I thought probably mink. Here's another photo that shows his colour fairly accurately:

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Verifying colours

Post by cyber ratty » Wed May 18, 2016 4:38 pm

I would agree with your thoughts, and Cliff is probably an english mink which can look quite 'cold' and grey sometimes.

rofay

Post by rofay » Wed May 18, 2016 5:10 pm

Thank you!

Cliff also has odd eyes (one is black, the other is a very dark red) but you can only really see in artificial light and I have yet to take a good photo. Is this fairly common?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed May 18, 2016 7:37 pm

Odd eyes are caused by cells that lack pigment migrating into the eye during development, and are usually seen on rats where the marking touches or passes close to that eye, however 'stray' cells can reach the eye on any marked rat, but that is less common than odd eyes on a rat with a blaze or head spot.

Return to “Other care”