Mother rat ignoring pups!

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
SharpTheCat

Mother rat ignoring pups!

Post by SharpTheCat » Wed May 18, 2016 10:08 pm

Last night at 3 am I found my female rat had given birth to 10 babies. I quickly moved the other rats in her cage out into a separate cage so she could be alone. Some of the babies had been scattered so I put them all neatly into a pile and found that 1 had died. I let the mother be but came back a little while later to find that she hadnt moved from her spot and that she was building another nest that she proceeded to sleep in away from her babies. A few hours passed and I finnally started looking around to see what the problem could be. I decided to move her and her pups into a small bin/tub with a water bottle and everything she needed. She completely ignored her pups so I attempted to hand feed them using baby formula and a small paint brush. Only a few of the 9 pups sucked on the brush and even then it was brief. I really dont know what else to do. The mother refuses to nurse her pups.

RedFraggle

Re: Mother rat ignoring pups!

Post by RedFraggle » Wed May 18, 2016 10:32 pm

No disrespect but are you 100% sure you've got the right female in with them and are you certain she's finished birthing and doesn't have a baby stuck?
It's hard to hand rear from birth so you may need to explore foster mum options if you're able.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

SharpTheCat

Post by SharpTheCat » Wed May 18, 2016 10:36 pm

RedFraggle wrote:No disrespect but are you 100% sure you've got the right female in with them and are you certain she's finished birthing and doesn't have a baby stuck?
It's hard to hand rear from birth so you may need to explore foster mum options if you're able.
Yes I am. She was the only one I had who was pregnant. I do not know if she is done birthing but it has been a long time since the last pup was born. She is moving around and acting normal yet wont interact with her babies. I have been looking around for a breeder or someone who has a rat with babies that are the same age but I have not had much luck.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu May 19, 2016 8:57 am

I hope the babies are still alive, although with it now being 30 hours since birth the odds are fairly low if they haven't fed. :( I would have said to put them into an even smaller space e.g. a carrier, so that she couldn't move away from them.

SharpTheCat

Post by SharpTheCat » Fri May 20, 2016 6:34 am

cyber ratty wrote:I hope the babies are still alive, although with it now being 30 hours since birth the odds are fairly low if they haven't fed. :( I would have said to put them into an even smaller space e.g. a carrier, so that she couldn't move away from them.
I am sad to say that after a night waiting for her to feed them I found 4 had died. I began hand feeding them immediately but sadly I couldn't save them in time.

Return to “Other care”