Think my doe is Pregnant plz help???

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
callan99

Think my doe is Pregnant plz help???

Post by callan99 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:46 pm

Hi guys,
Ive had rats for many years now, i love them. So recently i went away for a few days and asked my sister to mind my rats for me, i specifically told her several times to keep my does and bucks away from each other. However she didn't listen and had them out playing. i Believe one of my does the youngest who is months may be pregnant. Ive had a littler before from a doe who i ot from a petstore which i dont usually do but she turned out to be pregnant. Everything went smoothly and i kept a few of them and gave the rest to the store as it was their mistake not mine. I have already found some people who are interested in having rats if she is pregnant but im unsure as i said. She must only be in the first week of pregnancy if she is pregnant. She is sleeping a lot and seems a bit more calmer than usual. Is there anything i should be looking out for or any precautions i should take.
Also i am very interested in breeding rats to keep to carry on my babies bloodline and so i can experience having them from birth so any info would be appreciated thanks x :)

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Think my doe is Pregnant plz help???

Post by cyber ratty » Tue May 31, 2016 7:20 pm

If all your does were out with the bucks, then you could have more than one pregnancy. What is the first and last date they were together?

If it's only a week or so ago, and you don't want to have to deal with multiple pregnancies, then I suggest you consider using galastop (search the forum for more information on using it) on all the does just in case. How many does do you have, and what are their ages?

You could start looking out for seasons in order to rule some of the girls out. In rare cases though, I believe a doe can have what looks like a season while she is pregnant.

It would be a good idea to weigh all the girls today, and then again in 7 days time - if you post the weights here then we can tell you if it looks like they are gaining enough weight to be pregnant. Again, it's not a foolproof method, some rats gain very little weight, and some does can have a phantom pregnancy after being mounted even if they aren't actually pregnant.

Most rats only show visual signs of being pregnant in their third week (gestation is usually 23 days), but you may not know whether a particular doe is pregnant until they actually give birth - be prepared with enough safe low cages for them each to birth in, and remember that each doe could have around 12 kittens on average, or up to 20 odd in extreme cases. It'll be an expensive and time consuming (not to mention smelly) business if you have to raise a lot of kittens, and there is always the risk of a doe requiring emergency vet care, and unfortunately also a risk of losing both the doe and her litter if there are complications. British blue and topaz rats are particularly vulnerable because of their potential blood clotting disorders.

As for deliberately breeding from your rats, I would not advise it unless they come from a breeder whose lines show good health and temperament for at least 4 generations, and who is prepared to give their permission for you to breed them. If the rats have unknown backgrounds, then I'm afraid a lot of heartache and expense could be lurking among their genes, affecting both them and their owners, so it's not a responsible gamble to take.

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:38 am

Just to add to Cyber Ratty's post I think you may be in the US in which case galastop isn't licensed as a veterinary product. You would need to ask them to prescribe it as the human med cabergoline.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

callan99

Post by callan99 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:47 pm

In in Manchester in the Uk

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:59 pm

Callan99, did you miss my questions?
cyber ratty wrote:What is the first and last date they were together?
How many does do you have, and what are their ages?

callan99

Post by callan99 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:00 pm

Sorry Mary, they were together on the 22nd for about 14 minuets, my sister said he only seemed interested in Storm who is my youngest doe. She is 5 months old and the rest of my does are between 16 months to 2 years.
My sister said he mated with my youngest several times but the rest of my does didn't go near him. But I know how easy it is for them to get impregnanted x

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:50 am

It can be very easy, so yes, I would assume she is. (Your sister watched them mate and didn't realise her mistake?! :roll: is she absolutely sure that none of the other males mounted any of the other girls even once? ... it can be hard to keep a constant eye on lots of rats. It's a good job your sister only did this on one occasion.)

She will be due around the 14th June, so I'd put her into a birthing cage (single level cage without any ledges or hammocks, e.g. a ferplast mary or similar) with lots of loose substrate (so she can make a nest) on 12th June.

You will also need two larger cages (e.g. ferplast furet plus) for when the babies become fully active (about 3 weeks old) and when you split the sexes (at 4.5 weeks), so I'd start looking on ebay/preloved/etc.

callan99

Post by callan99 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:53 pm

Im sure she is pregnant now, she was quite a skinny rat and she is looking round around the stomach area, also she is biting me when i go to stroke and feed her she seems a lot more aggressive than usual. She used to be so friendly. Also she is awake more often than the others she usually just sits in the corner or is eating and then goes back to bed in the house

callan99

Agressive pregnant rat??

Post by callan99 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:04 am

Note: thread merged with your other one about this pregnancy

Hi my female is pregnant, she is 6 months and everytime I go to stoke or play with her she runs at me and bites me, I know this is probably normal behaviour but my question is that will she return to her normal personality after she has had her babies and when around will she start being friendly and tame again?

RatBubble

Re: Agressive pregnant rat??

Post by RatBubble » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:39 am

Hi,

I've no experience of rat pregnancies. But I found your other thread here http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtop ... nt#p278487 where Mary offered you some pretty sound advice. I imagine, as with a lot of expecting animals, she wants to be left alone to her own devices without being handled. It's probably instinctual for her to become aggressive near birth.

As I said I'm in no way an expert but if your threads are kept together the established members will guide you so you can do well by your doe and presumably become prepared. Do you have separate cages as suggested?
Four beautiful girls, Lady B, Meow (MaoMao), Miss Winnie & Jinx

Return to “Other care”