Page 1 of 1

URGENT - Baby Wild Rat Found

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:34 am
by Wild-George
Hi,

Long story so bear with me!

I family friend called me last night as they had found a baby rat – he was in a bucket outside with his dead brother and it was rapidly filing with rain water.

She rescued him and warmed him up and he ate a few beans!

He is definitely wild but very young – younger than would be allowed to be away from his mother but he seems to be eating solid food.

He seems to be fine this morning but hasn’t touched any food overnight – I’m a little concerned as rather than hiding away (as I would expect from a wild rat) he is just sitting in the corner of the cage and doesn’t look too happy.

So! What should I do?

I have had rats before and was an active member on the forum a few years ago – before it got updated – I’m no expert but I wouldn’t like to think I was a novice either.

I just have never been in this situation and don’t have a clue what to do!

1. Should I take him to the vets?
2. Should I give him different food?
3. Should I handle him?

He is currently in a small cage with food, water, bedding etc.

I am based in Warrington!

All advice appreciated!

Thank you!

Re: URGENT - Baby Wild Rat Found

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:44 am
by cyber ratty
He will be extremely neophobic so will be wary of food he's not eaten before (in case it turns out to be poisonous) - I would keep offering the food you've already given and he should start eating proper amounts within a couple of days (once he's discovered it's not poisonous).

Does he seem ill? I'm surprised he wasn't able to jump out of the bucket, and given that his brother was dead, is there any chance that they came into contact with poison... have any of your neighbours been using pest control?

Make sure you wash well after seeing to him, and seal up any scratches or cuts you may have.

If you intend to release him (if he survives), then keep interaction to a minimum, but if you plan to keep him, then he'll need a course of antibiotics in case he's carrying leptospirosis or something else.

I would also advise contacting Laura (username Stovokor) as she has a lot of experience in raising wild kittens.

Re: URGENT - Baby Wild Rat Found

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:50 pm
by Wild-George
Hi!

Thank you for the advice!

I'm unsure if he has been poisoned as my mums friend found him at the back of some shops - I drove for over an hour to go and collect him (yeah I'm mad!)

He was in a waste paper bin type bucket so it was really tall - too tall for him to be able to jump out of.

He's not looking good this afternoon

I will contact Laura

Thank you!

Re: URGENT - Baby Wild Rat Found

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:07 pm
by Wilcox_87
How is your little guy doing?

I had a baby wildie a couple of years ago who had just opened his eyes when he was brought to me, do you know roughly how old he might be? If he is young enough to still be with Mum in the wild he might need supplementing solid food with milk. Kitten and Puppy formula is a bit too fatty and high in protein for rat kittens so I was recommended to use human baby formula. Also if he is still quite young he may need encouraging to go to the toilet using a warm damp tissue as he will get very uncomfortable if he cant go himself. I hope he is doing well :hearts:

Re: URGENT - Baby Wild Rat Found

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:57 pm
by cyber ratty
Hopefully he's a happy 4/5 month old rat now as this thread was posted in June ;)

Re: URGENT - Baby Wild Rat Found

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:55 am
by Wilcox_87
Haha, this is what happens when you have a break from the forum for a while.....you stop looking at the dates of threads :lol:

Agreed, hopefully he is a very happy and mischievous teen. Would be nice to hear a happy ending :D

Re: URGENT - Baby Wild Rat Found

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:08 pm
by petty254-
I would love to know how it went, i hope he is happy wherever he is.