Toast needs some help

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
Post Reply
User avatar
RetroLemons
Posts: 1189
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:45 pm
Location: Nr. Cambridge
Contact:

Toast needs some help

Post by RetroLemons » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:55 am

Hey everyone!

Toast has got herself into a dilemma and I need some advice. She's recently started hitting the floor, roaming around, having fun. I thought everything that was dangerous was blocked off. However last night she disappeared, we looked everywhere. Turns out behind out kitchen unit there's the waste water pipe (im guessing) that goes up to our bathroom under our bath. There's gaps around the pipe and she has weedled her way up there. I can hear her moving around under the bath :shock: Every so often I feel like I can hear her moving in the wall (where the pip runs up) so I know she can come down if she wants to. At least some good news is she cant go all the way the other way as it more sealed in.

So I guess my first question is what would you do about tempting her down? And my second one is how do I unseal a bathtub side :roll: :lol: She's normally so good about responding to her name, but its like she decided to be a bit bratty :!:

p.s. my use of smilies is masking my utter panic here as I've already had visions of a little rat skeleton under our bath
From Rowan, Biscuit & Toast (Ratties) Bagel & Loki (Kitties!) ~Missing all 11 of my past ratlings :(
RatPad Hammocks - Awesome, funky, handmade hammocks starting from £3.50!
RatPads Facebook Page

User avatar
Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team
Posts: 3155
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:22 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Toast needs some help

Post by Rhian33 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:52 pm

Firstly keep your loo seat down at all times. Secondly bath panels are really easy to remove. They will either be screwed on - possibly with caps over the screws which pull off - just remove the screws and it will come off. Some more modern ones which are just plastic are pushed in and will come away if you get an edge out with a flathead screwdriver and pull gently.

I would suggest leaving a cage (if you have a spare) in the bathroom with the door open and some dirty hammocks/ bedding from her usual cage along with some of her usual food or something smelly foodwise which you know she likes and see whether you can tempt her with nice smells.

Good luck!
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

User avatar
izzerie
Admin Aide
Posts: 3316
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:08 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk
Contact:

Re: Toast needs some help

Post by izzerie » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:34 pm

I completely agree with Rhian's advice.

Can I clarify something? Does the area she's in have two possible exit points? Would it be possible to block one off so there's only one way she could come out?
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

User avatar
RetroLemons
Posts: 1189
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:45 pm
Location: Nr. Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Toast needs some help

Post by RetroLemons » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:44 pm

Rhian33 wrote:Firstly keep your loo seat down at all times. Secondly bath panels are really easy to remove. They will either be screwed on - possibly with caps over the screws which pull off - just remove the screws and it will come off. Some more modern ones which are just plastic are pushed in and will come away if you get an edge out with a flathead screwdriver and pull gently.

I would suggest leaving a cage (if you have a spare) in the bathroom with the door open and some dirty hammocks/ bedding from her usual cage along with some of her usual food or something smelly foodwise which you know she likes and see whether you can tempt her with nice smells.

Good luck!
It's down! It had screws which i've unscrewed but its also sealed in. Currently running a knife over everything so I can get it off. It's been done really rubbishly :( I feel like if I can get into the bath I can get her.
izzerie wrote:I completely agree with Rhian's advice.

Can I clarify something? Does the area she's in have two possible exit points? Would it be possible to block one off so there's only one way she could come out?
She's only got one. The way she came in, until we can get the side of the bath tub open. I'm going to put some of her favourite food down, and we're getting a humane rat trap from one of my OH's friends so fingers crossed!

Once she's out and safe, she's banned from the floor until we get some kind of enclosure. Can't believe this has happened :|
From Rowan, Biscuit & Toast (Ratties) Bagel & Loki (Kitties!) ~Missing all 11 of my past ratlings :(
RatPad Hammocks - Awesome, funky, handmade hammocks starting from £3.50!
RatPads Facebook Page

amycool
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: Toast needs some help

Post by amycool » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:09 pm

I hope she's managed to get out by now - you must be so stressed. xxx

User avatar
Squirrel
Posts: 2707
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:03 am
Location: London

Re: Toast needs some help

Post by Squirrel » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:57 pm

Did you get her out? Bathrooms and kitchens are both big no-nos in our place for rats free-ranging, too many holes. I once had a buck get into a hole behind the bathroom sink, not in my current place, but our place does have one so it must be quite common. He somehow got into the wall and I could hear him digging his way up and see little stones coming down! At one point I just managed to grab him by the base of the tail and pull him out when I caught sight of him. I was really panicked too.

If you've checked the living room over and rat-proofed it, I usually find it's OK to let them run around in there. We've covered our electric cables with hosepipe. OK we've had a couple of rats who have got inside sofas, but generally you shouldn't need a play pen or anything like that. At least not with adults. Babies are pretty good at squashing themselves underneath units etc :lol:

User avatar
RetroLemons
Posts: 1189
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:45 pm
Location: Nr. Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Toast needs some help

Post by RetroLemons » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:06 pm

She's out! We basically destroyed our bath side un-peeling it and stuff but it'll all easy to fix :) She's back with her buddies and Im gonna make her some extra nice food!!
Squirrel wrote:Did you get her out? Bathrooms and kitchens are both big no-nos in our place for rats free-ranging, too many holes. I once had a buck get into a hole behind the bathroom sink, not in my current place, but our place does have one so it must be quite common. He somehow got into the wall and I could hear him digging his way up and see little stones coming down! At one point I just managed to grab him by the base of the tail and pull him out when I caught sight of him. I was really panicked too.

If you've checked the living room over and rat-proofed it, I usually find it's OK to let them run around in there. We've covered our electric cables with hosepipe. OK we've had a couple of rats who have got inside sofas, but generally you shouldn't need a play pen or anything like that. At least not with adults. Babies are pretty good at squashing themselves underneath units etc :lol:
Our living room is really annoyingly set up as there's no door to the kitchen. The bath room was actually pretty safe because they seriously seemed to have attacked everything with sealant :rollred: but it's so tiny, it's no fun! We will have to get a big bit of wood or something and use it as a barrier for the kitchen :D
From Rowan, Biscuit & Toast (Ratties) Bagel & Loki (Kitties!) ~Missing all 11 of my past ratlings :(
RatPad Hammocks - Awesome, funky, handmade hammocks starting from £3.50!
RatPads Facebook Page

User avatar
Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team
Posts: 3155
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:22 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Toast needs some help

Post by Rhian33 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:20 pm

I'm so relieved! A bit of sealant and i'm sure you can put the bath right.
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

User avatar
Squirrel
Posts: 2707
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:03 am
Location: London

Re: Toast needs some help

Post by Squirrel » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:48 am

*Happy Dance* :hearts:

Yeah barrier for the kitchen and you should be good to go. :D

Post Reply

Return to “Other care”