Name that colour

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
Raggedtoothguppie

Name that colour

Post by Raggedtoothguppie » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:20 pm

I'm usually pretty good with determining rat variety but my recent adoptions are my first rats in the UK so I'm checking that I have the correct names for colours. I luckily adopted a pretty rainbow colony with black, agouti, PEW, siamese... and "grey".

Luna is what I would call a slate blue in South Africa. Is that the right name here? Her face and shoulders have the softest, shortest fur I've ever encountered on an adult.

I'm less sure on Belle's colour. At first I thought she was russian blue or russian blue agouti. But she doesn't have that steely blue of RB and on further inspection, her fur isn't ticked so she must be black based. I guess the browner patch on her rump is rusting. She's a warm tone grey. Two of my friends on another forum said they thought she looks mink pearl but I have never encountered one in real life so I'm not sure.

In better light:

I was told that Mulan came from a breeder and is a siamese rex but I would have thought she is actually himalayan? The local rats in South Africa are sable siamese and sable himalayan so I could be judging under the wrong criteria. Also, is she considered a poor or weak rex? You can only really see that her coat is different on her back. Her whiskers aren't as curly as the harley I've owned before. Her coat is quite coarse.

Mu from the back (between the agouti hooded and black berkie) plus Belle and Luna amongst my other pretties.
Mummy to Meg, Luna, Mulan, Claidheamh mor, Sgian dubh, Firedrake, Norbert and Smaug.

squeakrat

Re: Name that colour

Post by squeakrat » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:12 pm

I'm not an expert, but I'd guess that Luna is British blue and I'd have said that Belle was mink from the "better light" photo, but then in the photo with them all on, she looks like she does have ticking - it might just be the photo though?

Looks like you have a great group there!
Jenny x
:girly: Meg, Scout, Chick, Ruby, Lola :dumbogirly: Hope, Daisy
:rattyrainbow: Pocket, Belle, Dory, Silvermist, Poppy, Tarka, Jasmine, Flora, Penny, Lyra, Cassandra, Luna, Wren, Merryweather, Harper, Izzy, Tigger, Squeak, Bandit, Vandal :rattyrainbow:

Jem Q

Post by Jem Q » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:03 pm

Belle is mink, Mulan is himi (rex - does often don't make as good rexes as bucks but she does look quite a "relaxed" rex in terms of wave/curl) and I would say Luna is much too pale for British Blue - does she have black or ruby eyes?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:58 am

Jem Q wrote:Belle is mink, Mulan is himi (rex - does often don't make as good rexes as bucks but she does look quite a "relaxed" rex in terms of wave/curl) and I would say Luna is much too pale for British Blue - does she have black or ruby eyes?
I agree on Belle and Mulan, but I do think Luna is british blue, some can be very pale. Her eyes look far too dark for quicksilver, which would only leave russian silver as an option, and I can't see heathering.

Raggedtoothguppie

Post by Raggedtoothguppie » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:24 am

Jem Q wrote:I would say Luna is much too pale for British Blue - does she have black or ruby eyes?
As far as I can tell, Luna's eyes are black and she doesn't have heathering. She is incredibly skittish so I battle to get decent photos of her and have only held her to put her into a travel cage. Does the UK not have an equivalent of slate blue?

Thanks for the confirmation on Belle and Mu :)
Mummy to Meg, Luna, Mulan, Claidheamh mor, Sgian dubh, Firedrake, Norbert and Smaug.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:52 pm

There are two blue genes - russian blue, and the other is called british blue in the UK and american blue in the US.

As far as I am aware, slate blue is the term that Americans use for dark british blue, i.e. the shade of british blue that is suitable for showing. Your girl isn't anywhere near dark enough.

American blue generally refers to the pale shade of british blue.

And then powder blue, refers to pale british blue with a white undercoat.

I think your girl is pale british blue, or if you're in the US, american blue.

Return to “Other care”